Post covid, returning to work or staying at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
As far as I am aware the NHS has no WFH longer term policy and everybody will go into work as usual. My admin is in a hot desk office with three desks about 1 metre apart and has not changed for the pandemic.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm nhs and we're all still WFH. None of our work output has changed really. We've had new staff start remotely and they've coped fine. It's only the top managers, for whom travel costs aren't as much of an issue, who want to return to the office. I've probably worked more hours at home than I did in the office. They could save 21k/year by not renting just one of our 3 offices but they don't want to. We'll be asked to start returning to the office on a rota system soon. Most people are saving loads on commuting and parking, not too mention the M&S lunches!

delb0y

Legendary Member
Our company is moving to a smaller office. This will mean there's no longer room for all of us to be there very day. There will be some teams expected to be on-site so that will limit the space for the rest of us even more. I fully expect to only go for meetings, and WFH for the rest of time, which will be a superb change. Pre-covid I spent three hours a day on motorways just to get to and from work.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Give it a year after things settle down, and there'll be more wanting to go back into work.

Will companies pay the extra for electric being used in multiple houses, at a higher rate, for those working from home? Household bills will rise.
What household bills will rise??? Since working from home, mine have gone down as i can monitor better the elec / gas usage is being used……i also pay less out on fuel and food for work. So for me its way better than being in the office.

personally i have asked to be permanent from home after covid is over, but i dont think it will ever be over and not everyone will be able to work from the office, as less people will be allowed into offoce spaces.

i really hope a lot of companies give employees the choice to work from home permanently, or do what's best for them to find the best work life balance. best of both for me is a few days at home and a few in the office. otherwise it's a soul destroying 2hr round trip in bumper to bumper traffic each day, no thanks.
work from home is a win win as far as i'm concerned.
reduces traffic (for us cyclists!:okay:)
we don't sit wasting our lives away in traffic jams
less pollution
happier people

My part of the company is being sold off at the moment . The office I used to/sometimes work in now in near Central London is in the process of being closed . We had 1 floor, the other 4 floors were empty before COVID and now we are moving out, the building will be re-developed . I was doing no days durring the last year in the office because 2 of my small team liked being in the office/couldnt work from home, now they have resigned so I am meant to do 2 days, then the other tech guy has to have a hip replacement so its just me after my hols next week util he is better.
The kicker is they are going to open office space in a crap building we already owned on a industrial site North of London. No one wants to go there and most will be allowed to stay at home. However some of us tech bods have to go in 2-3 days per week minumum others just for meetings or if they feel like it. Its a horrid journey for me , no direct train, car by A127,M25 and A10. The half drive and cycle option will be difficult as no shower at the new place. No shops or cafes nearby just some lady with a van selling sandwiches at 10:00 in the morning.
So I am a little peeved!

They may open a small office in London for upper management and sales guys after the sell off is concluded.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What household bills will rise??? Since working from home, mine have gone down as i can monitor better the elec / gas usage is being used……i also pay less out on fuel and food for work. So for me its way better than being in the office.

personally i have asked to be permanent from home after covid is over, but i dont think it will ever be over and not everyone will be able to work from the office, as less people will be allowed into offoce spaces.

Our electric rocketed over the winter - heat in the conservatory and shed where we have working spaces, plus everyone being home 24-7. Gas was the same

vickster

Legendary Member
Our electric rocketed over the winter - heat in the conservatory and shed where we have working spaces, plus everyone being home 24-7. Gas was the same
How much did you all save not commuting and not buying expensive sarnies & Coffees? Plus the time saved not commuting?

I worked at home 3 or 4 days a week anyhow, we will go back to blended working. I may go in one day a week again from September if needed.
I've probably earnt less (as I charged a higher daily rate for an 'office' day to cover travel, Pret and time travelling ~2-3 hours) but I've not had to traipse across London...although I've earnt more as I've had no unpaid leave really since Sept 2019 :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How much did you all save not commuting and not buying expensive sarnies & Coffees? Plus the time saved not commuting?

I worked at home 3 or 4 days a week anyhow, we will go back to blended working. I may go in one day a week again from September if needed.
I've probably earnt less (as I charged a higher daily rate for an 'office' day to cover travel, Pret and time travelling ~2-3 hours) but I've not had to traipse across London...although I've earnt more as I've had no unpaid leave really since Sept 2019 :wacko:

Saved loads more than the electric bill, but it was a shocker - £100 a month increase over 4 months. It will dorp right off again now.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I like to WFH. I would quite like to have 2 days in the office and 3 at home, or something like that. Listening in to training courses is better from home. I don’t have the constant interruptions of colleagues saying “I can see you are in a training meeting but can you just abandon it for 2 hours and come and do this dull stuff because I cannot be bothered” or words to that effect. (They don’t say those words but it’s what they mean).
At work, getting lunch is hit or miss as people will cone and fetch you out of the lunch room because their pivot table isn’t behaving and they have a presentation next Thursday week so it needs sorting half way through my cheese toastie.
I am more productive at home without the disrespectful twits.

That said, it’s nice to go in the office every week, see folks etc. I just don’t like the 45 minute commute, the 20 minute security queue to get on site etc.
I hope remote working will be embraced for those of us who don’t have a physical need to be on site. The additional electric used is way less than my diesel bill every week.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
My partner is home 24/7 due to illness and retired on ill health in 2009…..so for me the heating and electric bill was less due to me switching things off that wasnt needed while i’m working at home. So winning all round for me

stephec

Legendary Member

What kind of MPG do you get from the TARDIS? 😄

contadino

Veteran
Just moving from one 100% remote job to another 100% remote job. No amount of money would get me commuting again.

In the interview I mentioned that if I'm struggling to solve a problem I go for a spin on my bike and the solution generally tends to present itself, and that was well received.

Top Bottom