post dated cheques

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
will a bank write you a post dated cheque exceeding the balance of your account at that time? based on the fact that i could write it myself if i had a cheque book?

No.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Probably not because there is no guarantee that it will not be presented before the date on the cheque.

Banks do not promise not to honour a post dated cheque before the date written on the cheque. You could find yourself facing punitive overdraft fees.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
even though i can point to evidence of my student loan and grant being paid regularly since september and that i haven't been overdrawn once?

Noodley

iLB said:
even though i can point to evidence of my student loan and grant being paid regularly since september and that i haven't been overdrawn once?

...even then.

Even if you have been with a bank for years and years and years and have years and years and tears of evidence of income and good credit.

They are a bank, you remember the ones that screw up the economy then claim it's all our fault and we have to bail them out...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Banks don't do post dated cheques only their customers have that privilege. Banks don't approve of post dated cheques.

When at university one of my pals managed to go overdrawn on his Post Office Savings Account by having two pass books and emptying his account twice.

But getting back to the original query - I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an affirmative answer.

Debian

The answer is no, full and final.

In any event a post-dated cheque is meaningless as most banks will ignore the date (if they even read it) and present the cheque for payment as soon as they receive it. If you read the T&Cs for your account it probably says that you must not write post-dated cheques.

Debian said:
In any event a post-dated cheque is meaningless as most banks will ignore the date (if they even read it) and present the cheque for payment as soon as they receive it. If you read the T&Cs for your account it probably says that you must not write post-dated cheques.

+1. read your T&C's - painful as it is.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
Lizban said:
Why do you need to?

My housing company wants post dated cheques as the method of payment for the year, and they want them at the time I sign the contract. ;)

Debian

iLB said:
My housing company wants post dated cheques as the method of payment for the year, and they want them at the time I sign the contract. ;)

Then your housing company is being an ass! Or trying to rip you off!

Greedo

iLB said:
My housing company wants post dated cheques as the method of payment for the year, and they want them at the time I sign the contract. :smile:

No chance.

Why do they want post dated cheques???? Why not just set up a direct debit???? or give them your card details and get them to debit it every month.

Top Bottom