Post lockdown tour - Five Ferries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Me? Shifting? You must be kidding!

averaged less than 20km/h
My guess would would have been that the section section out of Tighnabruich would have been the toughest bit?

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Me? Shifting? You must be kidding!

averaged less than 20km/h
That’s pretty good considering the 3 mile hill out of Sannox and the Portavedie to Colintraive section! I will be travelling somewhat slower

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Just as an aside, for anyone who has taken panniers on these ferries, so you leave them on the bike during the crossing? Thinking about the Ardrossan and Wemyss Bay ferries in particular. I’ll have a top tube bag with bank cards etc, which I will detach when on board

Reactions: mjr

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
I’ve done the ride a few times in both directions and plan to do it again once allowed. I’ll be including the Kintyre peninsular as well, which I’ve also done, but not as one large loop. Just hoping for good weather and a tail wind out of Campbeltown... :bicycle::cheers:

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I’ve done the ride a few times in both directions and plan to do it again once allowed. I’ll be including the Kintyre peninsular as well, which I’ve also done, but not as one large loop. Just hoping for good weather and a tail wind out of Campbeltown... :bicycle::cheers:
Out of curiosity, was it easier or harder doing it from Bute or Arran first? We are planning to start at Brodick.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Out of curiosity, was it easier or harder doing it from Bute or Arran first? We are planning to start at Brodick.

Brodick is a great start point and gets the biggest climb of the route out of the way on the first leg - allowing for recovery on the ferry across to Claonaig. It’s also the most scenic..

Did you say you were staying in Tarbert? I’ve had a couple of good nights there chatting with the locals.. even camped in someone’s garden one night at their invitation :tongue:

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Brodick is a great start point and gets the biggest climb of the route out of the way on the first leg - allowing for recovery on the ferry across to Claonaig. It’s also the most scenic..

Did you say you were staying in Tarbert? I’ve had a couple of good nights there chatting with the locals.. even camped in someone’s garden one night at their invitation :tongue:
Yes, we’ve never been to Tarbert but had good reports about it. I’m told there is a very good chippy!

Top Bottom