Post mount-Flat mount disc brake question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
ive been considering buying a gravel bike , some have either of the types post or flat mount disc brakes , question is ......... is there any difference mainly in performance of the brakes ie , braking power or braking distance , I’m mainly interested because a bike I’m considering , the 19’ version is £1000 dearer than the 18’ version and the only difference I can make out is the type of brake mountings and colour , (and obv last years model) if it’s a much of ‘ then I’ll go for the 18’ version ,
Any enlightenment most welcome ;)

Last edited:
No difference in performance. The mount is just a bit more elegant without all the contrivances of posts and stuff. I like them.

Broadside

Guru
@ozboz im glad you asked this because I have been wondering the same, I’m also shopping for a new bike at the moment.

I have noticed that some bikes with the older style disc brakes they also quite often have quick release axles, I’ve noticed that the bikes with flat mount discs often have thru axles. I know one doesn’t lead to the other, but if going to disc brakes I would prefer thru axle as I believe they are less prone to shifting about. It’s another difference to consider.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I just checked out the GCN vid re qr and thru axles , It would seem that thru axles are the way to go , I’ll have to see how the finances work out , I’m toying with the idea of selling my carbon road bike , so that could hopefully fill the £1000 hike in the 19’ model ,
Cheers for reply’s !!

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
D92A1735-A0BE-41C1-B787-3CDE2171E8F0.jpeg

Is it possible to make out which brake mount that is from photo ?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That looks very much like flat mount to me. TBH I would not care too much about flat or post, they both work, flat just looks a lot better and should be a few grams lighter. I certainly would not pay a lot extra for flat mount. However, I am a fan of thru-axle, I would pay a bit extra for that, but certainly not £1000.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Is a bit over just for that , but this will be the last bike I will get so in a way it makes sense to get the best spec available , the jury is still out on that ,

Top Bottom