Post Ride Munchies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now I have been riding since last december doing on average 2 x 20 miler in the week and 1 x 30 miler at the weekend. I am progressing in my averages and really enjoying riding and feel stronger. Apart from wanting a new bike :biggrin: my only other issue is that after each ride i get home take a shower and need to eat :ohmy:. I am a little over weight so I am keen not to add to it. Given the time I tend to get back i struggle with finding something that is not going to add to my spare tyre around my stomach. I am currently eating my 2 year olds supply of raisins after a ride which kinda do the trick but was wondering what everyone else eats or drinks to satisfy the body after a ride. Fitness type shakes have been suggested....?

Jim_Noir

Body needs fuel, just don't fuel it with fat. The fitness shakes won't really do much, unless it's protein and you want to build muscle. The raisns are good, however they have a high suger content... this is good to restore energy afer a workout but not good if you don't workout and want to lose weight. Also fructose will make you hungry, or think you are, glucose on the other hand will restore energy and keep hunger at bay. So it's not just watching the cals, its the suger fat etc that you put in. At the end of the day, does it mater you are overweight? As long as you are healthy is all the matters really, and cycling those distances I think will mean you are :ohmy:

Ben M

Ideally, post-ride, you want something which contains protein and some carbs.

Personally I have a protein shake with some oats in it. Just as good would be something like a tuna sandwich, or some chicken and pasta.

Bodhbh

Guru
I'd be careful with the raisins if you're after getting rid of a spare tire. Being dried, they carry a lot of energy for their weight and it's easy to throw a fair few calories down your throat munching them casually by the handful. I have a packet in the room now they have to stay covered to keep them out of mind!

yello

How about nothing? Seriously. A 20 miler is not really going to massively deplete your energy stores, and if you want to loose a bit of weight then it might be worth considering. Time your rides for before breakfast or before lunch, and then eat a healthy/normal lunch.

I realise I'm not you and our needs are different but I do 50km before breakfast, and then just have my normal breakfast of muesli, fromage blanc (kind of like low fat yoghurt) and banana.

If you're not very careful, eating after a ride can actually lead to a weight increase. A simple glass of water is a good way to reduce hunger pangs too.

Hont

Guru
As Yello said, try and time it so that your mealtimes are after your shower. If not, a protein shake is very good for surpressing the apetitite and will aid recovery. They do clock in at about 200 calories or so though, so if you're looking to lose weight you might find the opportunity to drop the same amount from your normal diet.

SimonC

After a long ride (50 mile +) - cheese sandwich and glass of milk

byegad

Legendary Member
When I returned to cycling nine years ago I had massive munches after the shortest ride, say 10 miles. Now I only get them after what is for me a longer, faster ride than usual. Up to 30 miles has little or no munchie effect, over 35 miles and I have to eat!!!! While for some on the forum 35 miles is a warm up, for this 58 year old, fat, asthmatic it's a good morning's or afternoon's ride!

Brahan

Über Member
Things I eat after a ride which have helped me lose weight:

A can of tuna and a handfull of eas and/or sweetcorn, nice with freshly ground pepper.
2 chicken breasts and broccoli.
Smoked fish and carrotts
Pork and veg and quinoa
Ebly and fish

Nothing there takes long to cook and if you chuck in an onion and mushrooms it's even better.

I need to constantly remind myself that I'm being good and that this is the best food on the planet. If I don't then it's 'BOSH' straight into the biscuits and cheese and cheddars and my son's yoghurt covered fruit things (which are gorgeous). For all it's good and healthy I sometimes don't feel 'satisfied' until I eat a little naughty something. Why is that?

jimboalee

Sometimes when I return from a ride, I go straight to the fridge and cut 10mm off a block of butter.
I let it melt in my mouth while I strip off and load the washing machine.

I have my shower and find my hunger doesn't rise until about three hours later.

I will sometimes make a psuedo sandwich with two slices of cheddar and put the butter between. Note :- No bread - pulverised grass seed Ukk!!

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
Sometimes when I return from a ride, I go straight to the fridge and cut 10mm off a block of butter.
I let it melt in my mouth while I strip off and load the washing machine.

I have my shower and find my hunger doesn't rise until about three hours later.

I will sometimes make a psuedo sandwich with two slices of cheddar and put the butter between. Note :- No bread - pulverised grass seed Ukk!!

I've been following this strictly since I mentioned it on the 1st July.

Bloody hell! I've lost TWO POUNDS !! ( 900g that is, not £2 )

Top Bottom