Post wet ride routine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
My old trusty commuter didn't have a lot of care or maintenance, however my new ride is my pride and joy and I want her to go on looking and feeling great for as long as possible, so:

What needs doing after a wet ride? I've cleaned all the water off, wiped the rims and cleaned the brake blocks and mickled the chain back to a shine.
Need I do more? What's your routine to prevent rain (and salty road spray) from harming your ride?

Garz

Squat Member
Hmm I do not have the luxury since the wee one was born but I did keep the beast indoors for the last couple of years so that has definitely helped. I did not get too soaked out riding only the odd rare occasion but even when I wash the bike it drips dry and only the chain is wiped - left to dry then re-lubed.

Salty grid from winter is a major factor but as it is a Titanium frame it seems to cope pretty well. Is it painted (steel/alu)? or is it carbon?

OP
OP
helston90

helston90

Mine lives in the garage so is always dry and comfy when not being ridden, just thinking about longevity that's all.
It's all alu with full mudguards (it's used for commuting so are needed and helps to keep a lot of muck off!)

fossala

Guru
I just wipe the frame down and clean the chain. Spray a little wd40/gt85/tf2 on the cassette to get ride of the water the wipe with rag. Once every 8 days (weird working pattern) it gets a good clean.

This is under Cornish weather conditions as well and gets ridden every day whatever the weather as I don't drive and work is 10miles away.

migrantwing

Veteran
Spray bike with WD40 or TF2 after cleaning. This will displace water on components. Quick wipe over with a soft, dry cloth, then another light spray of WD40/TF2 over bike frame and components. Helps make it easier to clean down next time, and also makes ya bike shine :smile:

potsy

Rambler
Don't go out in the rain? :whistle:

I usually just give the chain a wipe after a wet commute, re-lube, quick spray of the mech with some WD40-a-like stuff helps too.

OP
OP
helston90

helston90

Don't go out in the rain? :whistle:

Unfortunately one of the ways my wife and I were able to get rid of a car was a pre agreed couple of days a week she could have the car to ferry the kids to nursery/ kids clubs/ family etc.- I don't have the luxury of just saying no and work is 12 miles in the rain away!

Sounding from the advice above like I was giving it the right level of attention when wet. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I wash mine every wet ride, then pay attention to the chain - wipe, lube wipe. An old t-shirt is great.

WD40 is only useful on the mech pivots, and to clean sprockets. Don't use it to oil the chain. I never put WD etc on the frame. Mr Sheen it once in a while as the silicon makes muck fall off.

Top Bottom