Postal votes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've got some casual work opening postal votes for Thursday's elections (mayor and crime commissioner in this area). Can I just remind everyone to check that they fill their forms in correctly? It's such a shame that people's votes can't be counted because they forget to sign the form or put the wrong date on. It's your date of birth they need not the date you filled the form in.

I know the forms have too much writing on and it's not always easy to understand what you have to do. It's not the end of the world if the bit that says don't detach gets detached or if you have to fold the voting slip to get it in the envelope but do try to get the signature and date of birth bit right so that your vote will count.

It's interesting seeing how the opening and checking process happens - lots of counting involved and we haven't got to the actual votes yet!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@annedonnelly you get my vote

I have a postal vote - applied for it a while ago when I thought we would be on holiday at the election

Never actually posted the thing - I have to take my wife to the voting station anyway so I just hand it in
Apparently I will have to "fill in a form" this time as well - as well as the forms for the postal vote!

Getting the postal vote was easy - as it should be
getting off the postal vote list doesn;t seem to be as easy!
although to be honest I have not tried very hard - I will have to go "old school" and ring them up!

classic33

Leg End Member
I have a postal vote - applied for it a while ago when I thought we would be on holiday at the election

Never actually posted the thing - I have to take my wife to the voting station anyway so I just hand it in*
Apparently I will have to "fill in a form" this time as well - as well as the forms for the postal vote!

Getting the postal vote was easy - as it should be
getting off the postal vote list doesn;t seem to be as easy!
although to be honest I have not tried very hard - I will have to go "old school" and ring them up!
*Polling Stations can't accept any Postal Votes this year. You'll have to post it.

tom73

Guru
*Polling Stations can't accept any Postal Votes this year. You'll have to post it.

The Electoral Commission say different
The rules look to have changed but only if your Political campaigners a limit is now in place they can only hand in 5 in total.
https://www.electoralcommission.org...eceipt-postal-votes/who-can-hand-postal-votes

Always take mine in to town hall and post them in the ballot box in returning office.

I did mine right, didn't need any ID either when I put it in the postbox 🤔😊

That is rather a loophole in the great new way to protect our democracy - if you want to fiddle it just apply for a postal vote and use that

probably why you have to "fill in a form" if you just hand it in - but then you don't if you just post it

and on another point - with the changes to the postal service - including reducing the First Class post delivery times and delivery dates

tom73

Guru
I’ve had a postal vote for years, just for convenience. I often wondered if they were quite as secure as a ballot box, but presumably there’s something in place to ensure they are all counted just the same.

In many ways its more secure with all the extra checks and balancers in place. Around when, who opens them and who is present when they are.

tom73

Guru
That is rather a loophole in the great new way to protect our democracy - if you want to fiddle it just apply for a postal vote and use that

probably why you have to "fill in a form" if you just hand it in - but then you don't if you just post it

and on another point - with the changes to the postal service - including reducing the First Class post delivery times and delivery dates

Voter ID is a much bigger threat to our democracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom