POSTPONED due to ice risk - Todmorden to Waddington. 100 km (with shorter options)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ha ha - it should be melting ice, melting snow on distant hills, just-above-zero temperatures ... Ok, I get it! :laugh:

If conditions are bad then we will have to stick to those roads more likely to have been gritted.

And no loony descending, although I doubt you will be able to resist it.

Svendo

Guru
Afraid I'm driving back from down south on Saturday, have a good safe ride all. Should be bracing!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And no loony descending, although I doubt you will be able to resist it.
We'll see - I have had a few offs on ice in the past and don't fancy doing that again!

Afraid I'm driving back from down south on Saturday, have a good safe ride all. Should be bracing!
And you have a safe drive!

If you fancy a relaxing slow ride later in the year, you know where to find us! (You could always do a slow, chatty outward ride with the group and solo back at warp speed ... :whistle:)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
THE RISK OF FALLS ON ICE IS TOO HIGH SO I AM PUTTING THE RIDE BACK FOR A WEEK OR TWO - WATCH OUT FOR A REVISED DATE LATER.

Wise move.

Current conditions of a light frost overnight and a tiny bit of give during the day are an ideal recipe for black ice.

You be aware an ice skate works because the blade forms a thin film of water on the rink which enables the skate to slip.

A narrow bicycle tyre ridden in a light thaw comes close to replicating rink conditions.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Wise move.

Current conditions of a light frost overnight and a tiny bit of give during the day are an ideal recipe for black ice.

You be aware an ice skate works because the blade forms a thin film of water on the rink which enables the skate to slip.

A narrow bicycle tyre ridden in a light thaw comes close to replicating rink conditions.
Indeed!

I will check out road conditions tomorrow. I won't get my 100 km in but I might do 50 km up and down the A646 and A6033. I am going a bit stir crazy, having only ridden 24 miles so far this year.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hello Colin,
Has this ride been re-scheduled?
Oh, sorry @Stu Smith - I missed your post at the time!

I was just looking back over some of my old rides and stumbled across your message. The best thing to do in future is to tag me, the way I did in the first sentence. I get alerts for taggings and always respond to them.

It looks like the ride didn't go ahead but I have no recollection why not!

Top Bottom