POSTPONED due to ice risk - Todmorden to Waddington. 100 km (with shorter options)

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by ColinJ, 6 Jan 2017.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

And no loony descending, although I doubt you will be able to resist it.

ColinJ likes this.
  2. Svendo

Svendo Veteran

Afraid I'm driving back from down south on Saturday, have a good safe ride all. Should be bracing!

ColinJ likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

We'll see - I have had a few offs on ice in the past and don't fancy doing that again!

And you have a safe drive!

If you fancy a relaxing slow ride later in the year, you know where to find us! (You could always do a slow, chatty outward ride with the group and solo back at warp speed ... :whistle:)

4. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

THE RISK OF FALLS ON ICE IS TOO HIGH SO I AM PUTTING THE RIDE BACK FOR A WEEK OR TWO - WATCH OUT FOR A REVISED DATE LATER.

Blue Hills and Svendo like this.
  5. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

Wise move.

Current conditions of a light frost overnight and a tiny bit of give during the day are an ideal recipe for black ice.

You be aware an ice skate works because the blade forms a thin film of water on the rink which enables the skate to slip.

A narrow bicycle tyre ridden in a light thaw comes close to replicating rink conditions.

6. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

Indeed!

I will check out road conditions tomorrow. I won't get my 100 km in but I might do 50 km up and down the A646 and A6033. I am going a bit stir crazy, having only ridden 24 miles so far this year.

7. Stu Smith

Stu Smith Über Member

Hello Colin,
    Has this ride been re-scheduled?

8. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

Oh, sorry @Stu Smith - I missed your post at the time!

I was just looking back over some of my old rides and stumbled across your message. The best thing to do in future is to tag me, the way I did in the first sentence. I get alerts for taggings and always respond to them.

It looks like the ride didn't go ahead but I have no recollection why not!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice