Potential conversion...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've been on the lookout for an old racer to convert to SS, and have just seen a "Raleigh Sun" in the area going for £40. Frame is an OK size for me, brakes appear to be centre pull calipers, tyres are in a use-able condition, and wheel rims are fortunately aluminium rather than steel... but the little information that googling "Raleigh Sun" returns seems to be largely negative.

Does anyone have any idea whether this would be a worthwhile project? Condition is a bit scratty, but that's fine as I'll be doing it up and re-painting etc in any case... I just don't want to end up with a heavy lemon of a bike that I can't get up the hills with my single sprocket!

I even have a potential donor wheel with a track hub on one side for maybe going fixed some time in the future.....

AndyRM

XOXO
There are some very nice Sun's out there, and some average ones. I built up an average one as a SS for a mates son and he's happy with it.

As I understand it, the nicer framesets were built before Raleigh got involved.

Got any pics? Might help to date it.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
This is the only pic I have:

I would guess its a 70s/80s model from the look of it, and probably somewhere down the "average" end of the scale, but hard to be sure without going to view. Can't see the head badge properly, but looks like it might not be a Raleigh heron?

I'm sure it's a fine bike for the money, I'm just wondering whether it's worth the effort to refurb it as a SS/fixed, or if I should wait until something better comes along.

AndyRM

XOXO
Your pics not showing up for me unfortunately. Either way like you said it's hard without actually viewing 'in the steel'.

Could be right on the badge - I'm pretty sure the one on mine was an oval.

AndyRM

XOXO
@biggs682 might be able to offer a more informed opinion than my own. I'd say it looks a fairly standard 70s/80s racer, £40 is probably about right.

With a bit of time and effort you could have yourself a smart single speed for not much money. Or give it a bit of a clean for a pub bike/winter hack.

Andrew1971

Veteran
looks like its has had some upgrades to her. Not sure if same i have a sun gt 10 in my attic crankset looks to be the same. 2 things to look for are bottom bracket width mine is 70-71mm and find out what size the wheels are mine are 27-1 1\4 because of the brake caliper reach 700c wheels are alittle smaller. She does look like a nice bike
Andrew

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@ChrisEyles i would presume its a Sun built under the ownership of Raleigh and late 70's

should make an ideal s/s , might be able to keep crankset and re dish and space rear wheel for a single speed and hey presto away you go

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks a lot for the feedback all!

If the wheels are 27 x 1,1/4 as I suspect they will be, that's OK, since my donor wheel with fixed side is the same. And I'm used to 1960s centre pull caliper brakes, so hopefully won't break anything, no desperate need to switch to 700c wheels ;)

If I need to change the BB width to get a nice chainline, I am already wondering whether it might be a funny TPI since Sun were closely associated with Raleigh... As Biggs682 suggests, I might first take the lazy option and see if I can keep the existing crankset.

Wife has already said no, but I'm still tempted!

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks again all - looks like it should be worth going for then!

Only problem is going to be convincing the other half.... she was not best pleased at the idea of a sixth bike in the garage, or with me taking on another project while I've already got one in pieces...

Top Bottom