Potential Newbie! lol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaz Vickers

Hey from Heywood, Lancs
I'm keen on trying some gentle off roading, But i am starting from scratch on a limited budget! Can anyone advise me on a good bike and best place to get cheap cycle clothing from? (and best Brands) also any off road routes in Heywood would be great to know. I have a dream where i want to cycle john o'groats to lands end before i'm 40. only 7 and half years to do it! lol. but unfortunately none of my friends or anyone i know is into cycling! So i am welcoming any kind of advice! Thanks in advance. Gaz.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Welcome :cheers:

The all important question is what is your budget :smile:

gary in derby

:welcome: to the mad house, pop down to halfords and have a look, but be careful, they can be a dodgy lot. the bikes are ok though. as for being last in line,lol. cycling can seriously damage the wallet, it gets to you, lol.. as for lands end- john o groats, plenty of people on here wanting to do it so you wont be lonely. hope you stick around a good luck with your cycling.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

:welcome: to the mad house, pop down to halfords and have a look, but be careful, they can be a dodgy lot. the bikes are ok though. as for being last in line,lol. cycling can seriously damage the wallet, it gets to you, lol.. as for lands end- john o groats, plenty of people on here wanting to do it so you wont be lonely. hope you stick around a good luck with your cycling.
HaHa, I know, i could of spent hundreds of ££££'s and i havn't even started yet! Cheers, i will give Halfords a look when i next pass!

aJohnson

Hello neighbor. Hard to suggest a bike without a specific budget, but there's a good place called Leisure Lakes not too far from Heywood, I think now is around the time when they get newer models in and will be putting older ones on sale(Not entirely sure on this, but I think it's around this time of year?).

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Hello neighbor. Hard to suggest a bike without a specific budget, but there's a good place called Leisure Lakes not too far from Heywood, I think now is around the time when they get newer models in and will be putting older ones on sale(Not entirely sure on this, but I think it's around this time of year?).
Hi Neighbour! lol, I've seen that place (above Iceland) Never been in tho, i will call in when i next pass and have a look what they've got. Thanks for the heads up pal.

aJohnson

Hi Neighbour! lol, I've seen that place (above Iceland) Never been in tho, i will call in when i next pass and have a look what they've got. Thanks for the heads up pal.

I was going to get my bike from there but sadly they didn't have the model of my budget in my size, so I went to Cookson Cycles. I still end up going Leisure Lakes fairly often for things like inner tubes, the people there are helpful and I think I remember reading that they do weekly bike rides.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

I was going to get my bike from there but sadly they didn't have the model of my budget in my size, so I went to Cookson Cycles. I still end up going Leisure Lakes fairly often for things like inner tubes, the people there are helpful and I think I remember reading that they do weekly bike rides.
Ah ok, obviously i'm just after a so called Starter pack! i.e a bike and cycling shorts/top/jacket etc on the cheap, then build from there if i get the enjoyment i hope. Do you know of any routes in Heywood?

aJohnson

Ah ok, obviously i'm just after a so called Starter pack! i.e a bike and cycling shorts/top/jacket etc on the cheap, then build from there if i get the enjoyment i hope. Do you know of any routes in Heywood?

I don't know any off road, I'm a roadie. Leisure Lakes is mostly about MTB so they should have all the stuff you need(Not sure on their prices though). Maybe ask someone there to see if they have any routes as they probably do.

Top Bottom