potholes (pics)

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by bonj2, 3 Feb 2008.

  1. bonj2

    bonj2 Guest

    I've been on a militant pothole reporting mission today! Been meaning to do it for a bit.

    What's the best way to get councils to act? I've reported a few to fillthathole.org.uk but am just wondering if it's best to report them directly to the actual council aswell.

    Ironically it's not potholes that are my main gripe but poor road surfaces, as I always just go round potholes, but they could cause a nasty accident if they caused a cyclist to come off and there were motor vehicles passing, which is why they need to be sorted.

    I'm only going to report the worst ones I see, 'cos I could have roadworks springing up left right and centre otherwise! But some of the ones I've seen are particularly bad, so I am going to do everything in my power to make the council fix them, and have posted the pics below for you to thank your lucky stars how good the roads round where you live are.

    A few here for Derbyshire CC to sort out:

    this is a fairly big one, well over an inch deep:

    this is the same one from further away

    another one on the same road: (reported as a different hazard)

    but then this is the corker:

    the tape measure is 78mm diameter, and its top is just about flush with the road :biggrin:
    I don't ride up this side of the road, as it's an absolute mother of a hill and there is an easier way up, but some people might choose to!

    I'll see how they get on and if anything gets done!
  2. Dave5N

    Dave5N Über Member

    You've dropped your keys.
  3. yorkshiregoth

    yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

    and your tape measure ..
  4. purpleR

    purpleR Senior Member

    and your lucozade
  5. Dave5N

    Dave5N Über Member

    They ARE bloody big footprints though.*

    Don't go out in Derbyshire after dark.

    *or, conceivably, very small keys/tape measure/lucozade.
  6. Smokin Joe

    Smokin Joe Legendary Member

    It is no good sending those photos off to the council, they will just get chucked in somebodies filing cabinet and be forgotten. You need to make them sit up and take notice if you want something done.

    Instead of faffing about with keys and Lucozade bottles, take a picture of your erect penis sticking into the pothole to show how deep it is. You can then gaurantee your complaint will be taken right to the very top.
  7. OP

    bonj2 Guest

    any more stupid comments? :biggrin:
  8. Dave5N

    Dave5N Über Member

    Um, Am I missing something here?

    How will the council know if they are big or little potholes?
  9. Dave5N

    Dave5N Über Member

    It's not polite to mention such things on a family forum. :biggrin:
  10. stevenb

    stevenb New Member

    South Beds.
    I sympathise with you indeed. Some of the roads around Herts, Beds and Bucks are shocking to say the least.....chunks of road missing.
    I'm sure there is a certain level of depth a hole can be before it can be filled.
    Those I am sure will all fall into the 'Needs imminent repair' category.

    I used to be on the Celica GT4 owners club forum and one of the guys on there worked for the highways agency.
    He worked so hard to get certain roads repaired.

    Your photographic evidence is best.
    Approach the local council by all means....but do it in person so that you can sit down and discuss it with them.....just sending the pics will not work as Joe has already said...they'll lose them.
  11. longers

    longers Veteran

    Bonj, I've had good success by calling Derbyshire CC direct on 0845 6058058.

    The reports are taken by the switchboard operator and they have been filled in very, very quickly. Usually within 24 hours.
  12. Abitrary

    Abitrary New Member

    I've reported a few to fillthathole, and they always do it, but the busy roads take longer.

    Don't know if this has been posted yet, but an interesting article and video clip from BBC News 24 from a couple of saturdays back about potholes:

  13. andygates

    andygates New Member

    Report holes directly to the council. They usually have a number or a web form for it (Exeter's has a map system so you can pinpoint the hole accurately!).

    For speedy repairs point out that the hole is in the carriageway and that it poses an immediate danger to two-wheeled vehicles. That ticks all sorts of severity and due-diligence boxes up at Pothole HQ.

    Remember: Councils are not psychic. Mystic Meg is not sat there with a shovelful of hot asphalt waiting to get the tingle. You have to tell them!
  14. Speicher

    Speicher Vice Admiral Moderator

    Clever, very clever.

    I take it that you noticed the keys, and you are very concerned about Bonj's "complaint". :biggrin:
  15. OP

    bonj2 Guest

    cheers, longers. i'll try that number.
    abitrary - interesting article, cheers
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice