powder coat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Weezer

What are the pros/cons? Not really liking the idea of doing a DIY paint job, I've rather get it done once and finishednoff properly!! Any had any joy with getting there frame powder coated? Or what other options do I have apart from DIY?

Weezer

Powder coat = harder wearing finish and uniform finish but probably a higher cost to acheive.

Pro Spray = chips easier, varied finish (depending on skill of painter), cheaper option.

DIY Spray = chips easier, flakes easier if not prepped well, very varied finish, cheapest option.

I've done a few resto projects and have always gone for the Pro Spray option. This is because I work in the motor trade and have the contacts to get it done well.

nick.b

powdercoat is the best for looks and wear, just a touch costly, IF you can strip your bike down and strip and prep the bike there is a guy on ebay that does them for £20, but must be stripped beforehand.1

Bodhbh

Guru
Had a couple of frames powdercoated, one for 30 quid and the other was 45 quid (I think). If you can get someone to do it cheaply I'd just go that route. It is much tougher/nicer than a homebrew job - and by the time you buy the paint, nitromors etc you are spending the bulk of the 30 quid anyhow...nm all the faffing.

KenG

i've just had a frame powdercoated and the finish was spot-on,i had it done in RAL 5018,it cost me the sum of £25 but i prepped it first by removing all the paint with nitromors and smoothing the frame down where needed.
Its not the first frame ive had powdercoated and that one was fine too, overall i always go with powdercoating,theres a good choice of colours (RAL) and new ones are been added all the time,pearls and metallics etc

U

User482

Yep, had my old Thorn audax shotblasted, powdercoated in racing green then had a local firm make some new decals. Looks great, and is very hard wearing.

I need to get my bullit done - do you just go to motor body shops to get something powdercoated? If so I have a contact and can get it sorted easily.

battered

Guru
I need to get my bullit done - do you just go to motor body shops to get something powdercoated? If so I have a contact and can get it sorted easily.
No, you go to a powder coater. Or a wheel refurbisher, they generally use powder coat.

Top Bottom