Power & Effort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
Also I did a 12 mile run up and down a 1500 ft hill on saturaday, oops

That's what did your legs in, not the cycle ride on the Friday.

I dont know how you can say 10-20 miles is just a warm up for a fit cyclist, What if a fit cyclist was doing 15 mile maximum effort? Is it still a warm up then?

The warm up comment was a bit facetious, I think.

I don't have time to do long-long rides - my maximum time on the bike is 3 hours at the moment, and I can do 50 miles in that time if I get a shift on - but I can see how 10-20 miles IS a warm up if you're going out to do 100 miles at a steady pace.

To give you a basis for comparison ....

If I did 10-20 miles at a "comfortable" speed, which would mean my average heart rate for the ride being below 145bpm (although it can still peak at 170+ on climbs), I could go out the next day and my legs would feel the same as if I'd just had a day off.

If I did 10-20 miles "hard", which would mean my average heart rate exceeding 150bpm, I would feel it in my legs the next day, and wouldn't be able to go out and repeat the same ride. I could, however, comfortably do a slow ride of 30+ miles with my heart rate in the low 130s.

Another thing to take a look at is your cadence (how fast you pedal). Most people agree that somewhere around 90rpm is optimal for most cyclists. Much slower than that, and you're working your leg muscles a lot harder than you need to, which will increase fatigue in the short term, and could also set you up for injury in the long term.

I dont know how you can say 10-20 miles is just a warm up for a fit cyclist, What if a fit cyclist was doing 15 mile maximum effort? Is it still a warm up then?

I can see what the original comment was relating to - it's perfectly feasible to ride a hard 20 one day, followed by another hard or long ride the next. I've had several weeks this season where I've ridden a crit on a Wed evening (1hr maximal effort) followed by another race the next day. As ever, it's all in the training....

lejogger

Guru
I've come from running so dont fully understand, but in terms of running, so correct me if its totaly different is like saying.

3 mile run is a warm up run for a fit runner, but if they are doing tempo work its not, you get me?

TITS training (Time in The Saddle) is regarded as a bit old fashioned these days, there are loads more ways to increase your cycling performance, but there's actually a lot to be said for just spending time on the bike pedalling out the miles. If you start to try anything new, it's always going to be difficult initially but then get easier over time. And I'm not talking days, I'm talking months and years. Performance improvement is gradual to the point where you barely notice it. The only way I do is because I log all my journey times and average speeds. I don't feel stronger because I'm always exerting the same effort. I just go faster.
There aren't any short cuts unfortunately. When I first started commuting 18 miles every day I was falling asleep at my desk around 3 in the afternoon and struggling to do anything active in the evenings. I've now added club rides of 80 miles on a Sunday to my regular schedule as well as cycling to football and playing 90 minutes before cycling home again and riding to work the next morning. Sometimes that morning after I'd feel stiff as a board and crawl to work, but now, for the most part it just feels like any other day on the bike.

I've recently started to time trial on a Tuesday night, so I have to take that into consideration now too... I used to think that I should give myself a rest to make sure I'm not jaded, but the more you cycle, the more you come to realise that once your body gets used to it, the days off can make things worse not better. Keeping the legs going, even if it's just gently will help you go better in the long run. Your body will always tell you if you need a break, but unless you're struggling with an injury, the rides where you feel like you're struggling are the ones which make you stronger.

As far as you're concerned, I wouldn't worry. If I go out on my own (apart from the commute) I really push myself, no matter what the distance. The longer rides I go on are usually with the club and these will all be a little gentler because it's easier to ride in a group. Variation is essential. Long and slow is very good for general fitness as well as short quick rides for speed improvement.

The most important thing though is just to enjoy it. Don't feel like you have to force yourself to ride a certain way to improve.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Excellent advice above, I reckon^

Especially the bit about keeping the legs ticking over (I took 2 days off the bike last weekend, for the first time in 2 months and my legs were playing up the next day) and varying the effort.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
From the OP it looks like the Friday effect to me, whooo the weekend is coming. Come Sunday, bags of time, chilled out ride. I do the same thing sometimes, fly home on a Friday. Then some Sundays I have a number on my back and my attitude changes completely. I think it is more in your head than your legs, it is with me.

Top Bottom