Power Zones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coffee Snob

I'm new to the forum, apologies if this question has been posed before.

I've started following a structured training programme; my qeustion is, when directed to ride at say zone 2 what should I am for? There is a 50w difference between the top and bottom of the zone. I normally aim for the top end of the zone, but generally find myself dipping in the zone above.

Would I be better off staying in the mid region of the zone and will it create the same training adaption as if I aim for the top end of the zone?

S-Express

Don't over-think it - like all training metrics, power is there as a guide to effort, not a prescriptor. Without knowing more about which zone protocols you are following and what your objectives are it is difficult to comment further.

Last edited:
Righto. If you are riding long distances/ endurance, you want to be aiming your efforts on the actual ride at zone 2. However, whilst training, you want to be above 'zone 2'. Your 'zones' are based on your FTP. There are several zonal training plans available on line. Choose the one that fits your circumstances best.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hi Coffee!

From your description I'm guessing that you're using a power meter with a 'dumb' turbo or out on the road, rather than a smart trainer? If so, then it's tricky but possible to maintain a power output in a set range on a turbo but next to impossible on the road, especially if you're riding on lumpy Hampshire terrain.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it. In the end 'zones' are only a model to assist training; they're not truths carved in stone.

Top Bottom