POWER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

Meh, they aren't beautiful but they are very light, very stiff, modular and stupid easy to work with. Me Gusta.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Enjoy.

Try to remember how much fun it is as you soak up the delicious agony of the second 20 minute set.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I'd like to touch briefly on the matter of reduced price of Powertap, if I may,

As best I can tell, the hubs have recently seen RRP reduce by around $500, is that right? I have been considering renting a wheel for some time now and wonder if it would make sense to wait for any knock on reduction to rental rates or even take the plunge and buy a Powertap+ rear wheel for around £650. Does that price seem to take into account the recent reduction? I haven't been following pricing trends so don't know what's a good deal and what's not.

I really like the idea of pedal based power meters but can't afford 1500 quid if that's the cost... Any thoughts?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would buy one now the price has dropped, because you could re-sell and get a chunk of money back and probably be less out of pocket than renting. I am not sure if the cost of renting will reduce all that much. Would be worth phoning up Cycle Power Meters or tweet/facebook them, they might be happy to chat something other than Vector :tongue: BTW, I think it is the Powertap G3 that has reduced by a load? The Powertap Pro is being discontinued.

Howard

As I understand it your best bet for riding the wave of the new prices is to head over the US - the price drop hasn't really had an effect here yet on new kit. On used stuff..well the prices have taken a hammering, so if you feel lucky you could take a punt on a used PT wheel.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
As I understand it your best bet for riding the wave of the new prices is to head over the US - the price drop hasn't really had an effect here yet on new kit. On used stuff..well the prices have taken a hammering, so if you feel lucky you could take a punt on a used PT wheel.

Cyclepowermeters have implemented the new pricing plan, however the price is not as low as in the US because of VAT and import duties.

amaferanga

Veteran
Given the short lifespan of torque tubes in PowerTap hubs (particularly the SL+ models with the leaky carbon shell) you'd have to be brave (or foolish) to buy one that's out of warranty.

Howard

Given the short lifespan of torque tubes in PowerTap hubs (particularly the SL+ models with the leaky carbon shell) you'd have to be brave (or foolish) to buy one that's out of warranty.

Hense my 'if you are feeling lucky' quip ;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ok thanks. I had considered that buying might be a wise move because of the option of reselling if I wanted to and potentially it costing me less this way than renting for a few months... Decisions, decisions!

Is the difference in the Pro and SL mainly just weight?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not sure if that's a bad thing or reason not to get one of not. I suppose replacement parts and servicing will be impacted.
If you add the cost of a decent wheel (on their site) you are not that far short of the others in terms of price?

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Ok thanks. I had considered that buying might be a wise move because of the option of reselling if I wanted to and potentially it costing me less this way than renting for a few months... Decisions, decisions!

Is the difference in the Pro and SL mainly just weight?

DC Rainmaker summarises the main differences between the hubs here. He's got a few other articles on Power Taps so have a browse. I don't think you can get the SL anymore, the Pro is the entry level, and G3 is the more performance focused unit.

One of the neat things about the G3 is the ability to change the battery yourself, the Pro I believe has to be sent to Paligap.

Top Bottom