PowerMonkey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Went out to try a AUK Midland Mesh 200 today.

Got 120 km done and abandoned. Air temp didn't improve all morning; and when I dropped down into the Vale of Evesham, the temp was several degrees lower than in Stratford u Avon.

Used my Garmin Edge 605 on a PowerMonkey I bought myself with some cash from my Sister.

Six hours use and the PowerMonkey did the business. Even with 50% backlight and at -1 Deg C ;)
It's the 2200mAhr rechargeable, so I would expect a good sixteen hours on the Edge 605 without backlight.

Tied it to the handlebar with a releasable zip-clip.
Altogether tidy little package.

BTW. £23.48 in Selfridges, Bull Ring, B'ham.

Will1985

Über Member
What a neat little gadget! Have you got the solar one or the battery one? I wondered if something like this existed when my 205 only just held out for the Dunwich Dynamo but then the battery died 2 miles after leaving Dunwich to go home.
Hopefully my new 705 will hold out for DD XVII.

So can it charge when you are riding?

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Mine's the rechargable PowerMonkey. 2200 mAhr, 16 hours at 125mA drain.

I looked at PowerChimp, which takes 2 x AA NiMh cells. Could have been a better bet with 2700 mAhr cells. But, a pack of decent 2700 mAhr NiMh cells are £15 which put the overall cost higher.

All I need is 24 hours total to get through a 400 km in midsummer when the nights are really short.
16 hours + 15 hours, less some for 25% backlight should be OK.

The Solar Monkey is not much good, and is unreliable!

But that is due to the weather rather than the kit.

I successfully kept both phones and my Garmin charged with the Solar Monkey for a week of really brilliant sunshine, charging the power monkey with the panels attached to a pannier (moved around to maximise sun)

However apart form the few weeks where this happens it is unfortunately a vicctim of the weather...

Top Bottom