Pozzato banned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Without knowing all the facts this appears pretty harsh, the guy used advice from a suspect doctor so gets banned with no other direct evidence ? Sounds like some weird Orwellian thought crime or whatever.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Without knowing all the facts this appears pretty harsh, the guy used advice from a suspect doctor so gets banned with no other direct evidence ? Sounds like some weird Orwellian thought crime or whatever.

" Ferrari is banned in Italian, where riders are prohibited from working with him"

Even I knew that this was the case, so it beggars belief that Pozzato worked with Ferrari. Funny how these cyclists go to dodgy doctors, like Fuente and Ferrari with a long history of doping, for 'training plans'. I might pop along to my GP and see if he can give me a tip on how to get up the hill quicker!

3 months back-dated ban!!! He got this bit right though....

"Anyone who knows anything about this would agree it’s a farce,” said the 30-year-old Italian

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Do you really think that cyclists have been paying Ferrari several tens of thousands of euros per year for training plans that contain no information about the use of EPO or other drugs?

I went and read a few articles on this later, and it does seem suspicious of course, who pays a dodgy doctor 50k for a diet plan and training advice after all ?
Seems though that Ferrari was not on a banned persons list either, from what I could read, but CONI seemed pretty determined so they must have something on him.
The fact that Pozzato claims he never knew of Ferraris history or reputation means he must be thick as s*** or lived under a rock for a few years.
I guess my inbred sense of justice just riles a wee bit at the 'where there is smoke there must be a big fire' attitude, but that may just be me wishful thinking too.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think we're all agreed that this is a pretty simple case. Ferrari is banned. Riders are banned from using him. Pozzato used him. Whatever the reason, he's blatantly broken the rules.

To speculate a bit more: Ferrari offers much more than EPO - he is well known for his innovative analysis and training programs in general. And I think that Pozzato has actually improved from the arrogant git he once was, so I'd be very disappointed if he was actually receiving doping advice from Ferrari. But, that isn't the point of the ban...

lukesdad

Look on the brightside, the sport is getting cleaner... well so a bloke down the pub on the internet told me ! :thumbsup:

Ferrari was ban from italian federation from some years (maybe from 2002), but him name was not in list of person ban from federation.

kedab

Veteran
there's one reason and one reason alone you go to see ferrari...he's a hematologist, nothing more...isn't that right Lance. yeh, i know you're reading :scratch:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
To speculate a bit more: Ferrari offers much more than EPO - he is well known for his innovative analysis and training programs in general. And I think that Pozzato has actually improved from the arrogant git he once was, so I'd be very disappointed if he was actually receiving doping advice from Ferrari. But, that isn't the point of the ban...

There's a lot of good stuff about Ferrari in Tyler Hamilton's book, and from what he says, it's clear there's much more to his methods than just doping.

Same goes for Celaya and Fuentes.

They're still Very Naughty Men, though, and anyone who's foolish enough to work with a banned doctor deserves to have the book thrown at them - for their stupidity as much as anything else.

d.

Top Bottom