Practical Commuter Bike in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buzzinonbikes

Morning folks,

I'm after a new/used commuter bike. I'm sick to death of smashing around on my winterized road bike dressed in lycra. I'de rather save this for club runs and training. The change at the other end is a pita and I'm after a more relaxed mode of transport. I'm not interested in "fast commuter" anymore, it's a load of marketing BS for commuter racing. The days that a fancy a swift long way home I can ride the road bikes I currently do now. I can handle the slower moving speed as with lights and stops the overall journey time realistically would be very comparable.

I suppose this has come about since finding a great new commuting route down the Bridgewater Canal in Manchester for those that know it, and spending a lot of time in Amsterdam, Munich and other European cities seeing how cycling is a normal form of transport for everyone there. Yes, I realise the infra is much better but I have found a pretty decent segregated/quiet commute.

Must haves - hub gear 3 speed or more, wide tyres 32cc plus, mudguards, rack, flat/swept back bars and CHEAP. A bonus would be dynamo hub and lights, chain guard.

I've seen bikes of this spec but they are near enough the same money as my road bikes, as this is strictly a commuter I'm hoping for a cheap and cheerful affair.

Closest I've seen for reasonable money is the Raleigh Pioneer 3. Anyone else found anything similar in the UK?

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
One of these unusual beasts from Decathlon? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-740-dutch-style-city-bike-id_8303290.html

Seems to tick every box for £350

• 1 Frame and forkThe frame is made out of aluminium as it is lightweight and corrosion resistant. The rigid fork is made out of high-tensile steel. A frame with a geometry specifically designed for city cycling. The lowered frame makes it easier to get on and off.

• 2 Drive train Shimano Nexus 7-speed internal gear hub: 7-speed hub for comfort in use and low maintenance. No risk of derailment with this reliable system, essential for cycling in the city. Gears can be shifted even when stationary. The full chainguard reduces tyre spray and dirt. Anti-corrosion treatment on the chain.

• 3 BrakesAdjustable aluminium brake levers for powerful, easy-to-control V-brakes. Positionable brake pads for perfect alignment with the brake track.

• 4 Handlebars / stem / steeringRaised, flat, inward-turned handlebars, very pleasant,ergonomic handles, adjustable stem to adjust the height and distance of the handlebars from the saddle, to ensure the most comfortable and relaxing riding position. Raised handlebars for a riding position that keeps the back upright.

• 5 Saddle / seat postComfortable Selle Royal saddle, with gel padding. Its shape is designed to suit frame geometry, the upright riding position requires the rear part of the saddle to be larger. Aluminium seat post with integrated saddle rails, like on racing bikes, for durability and easy adjustment.

• 6 WheelsLightweight, corrosion-resistant, aluminium rims with double wall for extra durability to manage pot holes and rough terrain.

• 7 Tyres reinforced puncture-proof tyres (anti-puncture belt under tread for puncture resistance).Reflective tyre walls increase visibility and improve safety at night.

• 8 Accessories/EquipmentMudguards, stand, AXA frame lock, pannier rack carrying up to 25 kg, Shimano hub for front and rear powered lighting: a well-equipped and practical bike for the city. It is very easy to use. Halogen front light, rear light stays on when stationary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Buzzinonbikes

Buzzinonbikes

Should of mentioned I'm 6ft6...
That Decathlon has got the spec! Might go see it, would take some getting over the step through design! ;)

Gonna go check out a "lower end" bike shop I know near me.

ta

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't Rose do those sorts of bikes in big sizes?

Otherwise if you want an uncomplicated commuter, build yourself a single speed or fixed?

Or head over to Hook of Holland for the weekend and buy yourself a bike, lots of giants in NL too!

Mike!

Guru
Specialized Globe 3 here
Not showing stock in XL but Rutland got a bike for me that was showing out of stock in my size so maybe worth checking if of interest

Cube Travel City? here

Looks like cube do a few that make be suitable, the Town range also

zach

The Genesis bikes are great! Simple bike, simple geometry, but it's still a great piece of the machine! I think I will go with Genesis on my next bike. Stainless steel Reynolds tubing is something that I want!

vickster

Legendary Member
The stainless Genesis looks good, saw the CDF in Evans the other day...would still prefer my copper beauty or a titanium frame though :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
What is the budget, one man's cheap is another's expensive?

I'd say you'll want something better than Decathlon or entry Raleigh for that mileage...sod the budget ... interest free credit...:whistle:

Top Bottom