Practicalities of drying clothes on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
graham bowers
I've read about the string bag trick before - I did take mesh bag on a recent trip but it wasn't suitable, much too big - must find a suitable string one. And the towel trick - I'd have a wet towel then ;-(

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've read about the string bag trick before - I did take mesh bag on a recent trip but it wasn't suitable, much too big - must find a suitable string one. And the towel trick - I'd have a wet towel then ;-(
Yebbut firstly hotels and some hostels give/rent you towels so you don't have to carry that water away with you and secondly even if you use a travel towel, you've now got two items roughly half as wet so there's a chance that they'll both dry before morning. If anything, travel towels seem to dry more quickly than most clothes.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Think this rinsing cycling clothes out depends just how sweaty you get. I run really hot & can get sweaty even in winter & I've tried rinsing tops out in the shower, but they still stink the next day :sad: If I was doing lejog over a 2/3 week period I'd book in to various B & Bs enroute & post out clean clothes to them before I set off & post all my laundry home :okay: that way you only need to carry 2-3 days worth of clothes ^_^ In fact on my first ever solo tour (C2C) I'd taken clean everything for each day, after day 2, I mailed most of my stuff home, made the climbs after that so much easier :laugh:

OP
OP
graham bowers
Think this rinsing cycling clothes out depends just how sweaty you get. I run really hot & can get sweaty even in winter & I've tried rinsing tops out in the shower, but they still stink the next day :sad: If I was doing lejog over a 2/3 week period I'd book in to various B & Bs enroute & post out clean clothes to them before I set off & post all my laundry home :okay: that way you only need to carry 2-3 days worth of clothes ^_^ In fact on my first ever solo tour (C2C) I'd taken clean everything for each day, after day 2, I mailed most of my stuff home, made the climbs after that so much easier :laugh:
The mailing trick is something I intend to try, but probably mail to myself at post offices as I tend to camp, and sometimes arrive late / leave early. If I use post offices, I can send to ones I expect to pass during business hours.

OP
OP
graham bowers
Yebbut firstly hotels and some hostels give/rent you towels so you don't have to carry that water away with you and secondly even if you use a travel towel, you've now got two items roughly half as wet so there's a chance that they'll both dry before morning. If anything, travel towels seem to dry more quickly than most clothes.
Fair points ! Thanks.

Top Bottom