Practice falling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Some information that I found

"Practice falling

If you’ve ever listened to Tour de France commentary, they emphasize how riders “go limp” if they are going to wreck. That’s exactly what you want to do. Proper form when crashing is almost an instinct amongst the pros because they have practiced (or learned from experience.) In your case, I suggest a good practice session. Start by going out in a grassy field, with helmet and pads, of course. All you have to do is roll along, stop, and fall over while keeping your hands on the bars. Don’t stick your arm out, that’s how you’ll break a collar bone! You can start out falling into a hill so you don’t have to fall so far, but work your way to flat ground. The key is to go limp (relax all your muscles) and absorb the shock, letting your entire body hit the ground. (You know how boxers “ride” a punch? It’s physics. The longer the time period of the hit, the less damage it causes.) So when you go down, your legs will hit first, then your side, and then your shoulder. You won’t really roll in this slow-speed drill, but you will in the next one."

More on this topic http://www.training4cyclists.com/how-to-ride-strong-all-season-long-dont-get-hurt/

Danny

Legendary Member
Hmm...when I last came off my bike on some black ice I went down so quick that I didn't have time to tense anything. My body certainly took the impact - or to be more precise my shoulder and hip - and hurt like heck for weeks after.

But I guess I didn't break any bones :smile:

Mortiroloboy

I agree, my two falls were on BI as you say reaction time is limited, like you my hip, elbow and shoulder took the brunt, a bit of friction burn and a damaged jacket into the bargain, I think I instinctively went limp, which helped me slide down the road!

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
It would be really interesting to hear the opinion of people that race even if it is as amateur.

When I was a teenager I practised judo and one of the first thing you learn is how to take a fall. While in combat sometimes you might think you have no time to prepare for a fall but you do it automatically, without even thinking about it, an instant reaction. I'm thinking, that is what this man is talking about.

Rick

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This bloke claims that the pros parctice falling off. Well, they must keep it a big secret if they do, because of all the dozens of training books I've read over the years nobody ever mentioned it.

He also states that you should wear a helmet due to the number of lives they save each year. The pros must have been dropping like flies in the hundred plus years before helmets.

Mustn't they?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
....it's as easy as falling off a log?:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom