Prangs with a humorous consequence.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
mine's just happened. - picture the scene.
Single carriageway each way separated by intermittent islands. Queue of traffic waiting to get onto a roundabout 100 yards ahead.
I'm sailing along on my fixie on my side of the road, but on the outside of the queue of traffic. A car coming from a driveway on the left, tries to get through a gap in the queue of traffic to turn to its right and doesn't see me!
I somersault over the bonnet still clicked in and land on my back....ooof!
I'd just been to shop and had rucksack on my back with 4 pint container of milk. This broke my fall by bursting and I was therefore left sprawled in a pool of milk!
I knew immediately that I was ok and decided to milk the occasion by staying down for longer than was necessary.
It took concerned passers by to disentangle me from the bike (difficult to unclip with the bike on top of you) and one kind person later bluetoothed over to me some pictures of the car, its occupants and the reg number and gave me their address should a witness be necessary.
The bike is an old 531 Nigel Deane frame and an initial glance shows that the forks are well stoved in.
Have to be off to work now, so will examine it in greater detail later.
I'm fine: not a bump or scrape....nothing:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
A giant catering tub of tomato ketchup might have been even more gory and impressive!;)

domtyler

Über Member
Yeah, I think I might start keeping a sealed tub of blood and offal from the local abattoir in my back pack from now on.

walker

you can use the 'that bike cost me £1000 from new and I've not had it that long, you can either replace it or we can take it further?' comment, 9/10 it works, if it don't take it futher.

It works even better when the driver knows nothing about bikes

col

Legendary Member
Upside down and still clipped in,laid on a car bonnet,Yes its a funny picture in my minds eye:smile:

As a pedestrian I was once knocked down by a car which turned into a side road. They cut the corner, on the wrong side of the road, so hit me as I was crossing. The driver didn't see me because it was Winter and they hadn't demisted the windscreen...

I saw it coming so fell/sprawled over the bonnet rather than it taking my legs out from under me, but it must have lloked a right mess because I was carrying my weeks shopping - milk and broken eggs everywhere, potatoes and carrots rolling about in the road...

domtyler said:
Yeah, I think I might start keeping a sealed tub of blood and offal from the local abattoir in my back pack from now on.

ROFL that's a superb idea ;)
Betty I think you've been very lucky, but if you are OK (and not still pumped with adrenalin but about to go into shock) use this as an excuse to put your feet up and have a good old loaf. Take it easy for the next few days though, eh?

col

Legendary Member
andy_wrx said:
As a pedestrian I was once knocked down by a car which turned into a side road. They cut the corner, on the wrong side of the road, so hit me as I was crossing. The driver didn't see me because it was Winter and they hadn't demisted the windscreen...

I saw it coming so fell/sprawled over the bonnet rather than it taking my legs out from under me, but it must have lloked a right mess because I was carrying my weeks shopping - milk and broken eggs everywhere, potatoes and carrots rolling about in the road...

So thats where the saying"All in a stew" comes from:smile:

buggi

Bird Saviour
betty swollocks said:
...I'd just been to shop and had rucksack on my back with 4 pint container of milk. This broke my fall by bursting and I was therefore left sprawled in a pool of milk!
I knew immediately that I was ok and decided to milk the occasion by staying down for longer than was necessary....

;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
Cycling along with the wife...
sees an empty coke can in the road. Up ends the front wheel, bangs it down on the can, can wraps round front wheel, rotates into the brakes, bike stops instantly...i dont ;):biggrin::biggrin:

Flew straight over the handlebars, bike upending itself...and somehow landed on my feet and walked away.

Wife laughed her head off said you stoopid pratt, your late 40s and acting like a 16 year old :smile:

I know, i said ;)

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Did you see your life go pasteurized?
dear oh dear oh dear!
Am back from work now and feel fine.: no aches stiffness or discernible bruises. Thank you Kirstie for your concern.
I bet the bike is a lot worse - I think I'll leave the inspection till the morning.
And gbb: loved your story:biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

gbb said:
Cycling along with the wife...
sees an empty coke can in the road. Up ends the front wheel, bangs it down on the can, can wraps round front wheel, rotates into the brakes, bike stops instantly...i dont :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Flew straight over the handlebars, bike upending itself...and somehow landed on my feet and walked away.

Wife laughed her head off said you stoopid pratt, your late 40s and acting like a 16 year old :biggrin:

I know, i said :biggrin:

lol that's quality.

Arch

Married to Night Train
gbb said:

Not me, but a friend did something similar when her horse refused a fence. We were so impressed, would have been even better if she'd had the time and wit to go "da-daaaah!" when she landed!

BTW, Betty, glad to hear you are Ok. You must be the cream of the crop.

Top Bottom