pre & post ride supplements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Does anyone here use these?

It seems IME that many cyclists tend to be very much in the 'old school'. I.e. Lots of cups of tea, cake and milk, obviously plenty of energy drinks too, but I don't know of many who embrace nutritional supplements quite like the gym crowd do.

I have a pal who is a physiotherapist. He used to play semi-pro football and has recently started cycling for his new love of triathlon.

He recommends amino acids before to help metabolise protein and dilute blood vessels for improved oxygen supply, and very lean low carb and low fat whey protein with green tea and flaxseed after.

He says to not have anywhere near the recommended doseages. They say 50g of whey protein but his research suggests about 20g for cyclists.

Placebo? Marketing? Worthwhile? Any thoughts?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Some do, some don't. Most will cry "expensive" and go off on one about marketing hype,panorama and ch4.

It never ends :rolleyes:

david k

Hi
there is so much 'evidence' i dont know what to believe any more.
I played pro rugby when younger and was always told carbs before and protein after, in fact contrary to your mates advice we were told not to have protein before as it slowed energy conversion down???

In short if ggoing for a long ride i try to carb up before with usually porridge or wheatabix or similar, fruit and nut bars on the ride and meat or eggs afterwards. But since i dont do lots of miles i dont get to hung up on my own advice!

Top Bottom