Pre-war tandem - dismantling for spares

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My very nice and useable pre-war tandem has become surplus to requirements (and space, since my wife was given a new Viking on her recent retirement).I built it in 1980 using a mixture of parts, and as a whole machine it would probably fetch no more than£70. So I'm breaking it, and will advertise on various websites very soon. Contact me if you are interested in the following:
1 - A pair of Chater Lea tommy bar type pedals in good overall condition (one has a slichtly rough bearing, but I've used it like that for 30 years!)
2 - A pair of Chater Lea pedals (the rather plainer type - but not the chamfered plate type)
3 - Two pairs of Milremo cottered steel cranks, in reasonable condition one pair of which is 7", not the standard 6.5". They are fitted with TA alloy rings 44T and 44/54T, which are to be sold separately unless I get a decent offer to include them.
4 - The rear wheel, which incorporates an early (1970s) Shimano cable operated Disc Brake hub. The wheel has a 27" steel rim, good 27x1.25" tyre and tube. (I will dismantle the wheel if you are only interested in the hub/brake assemble, which includes the Shimano 16~28 5 speed freewheel.)
5 - The tandem frame, make unknown - the lugwork is the same as many other makes of pre-war tandem, the frame is quite light, has rear facing rear dropouts but I don't think it is a 'track' frame because it has lugs for gears. The head bearing set was new in 1980 as were bottom bracket spindles and bearings, supplied by the Tandem Club of GB. Sale of the frame will include all bearings, seat pillars and handlebars and stems - and the modern rear carrier frame.
6 - the front wheel is a cheapo small flange non q/d hub in a steel rim - clean and sound, with good 27x1.25"tyre & tube.

LOCATION Near Darlington, NE England - tel 01325 314362 - Ask for Roger. I will email pictures. Postage of items will be at cost, no charge for packaging.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hexham said:
My very nice and useable pre-war tandem has become surplus to requirements (and space, since my wife was given a new Viking on her recent retirement).I built it in 1980 using a mixture of parts, and as a whole machine it would probably fetch no more than£70. So I'm breaking it, and will advertise on various websites very soon. Contact me if you are interested in the following:
1 - A pair of Chater Lea tommy bar type pedals in good overall condition (one has a slichtly rough bearing, but I've used it like that for 30 years!)
2 - A pair of Chater Lea pedals (the rather plainer type - but not the chamfered plate type)
3 - Two pairs of Milremo cottered steel cranks, in reasonable condition one pair of which is 7", not the standard 6.5". They are fitted with TA alloy rings 44T and 44/54T, which are to be sold separately unless I get a decent offer to include them.
4 - The rear wheel, which incorporates an early (1970s) Shimano cable operated Disc Brake hub. The wheel has a 27" steel rim, good 27x1.25" tyre and tube. (I will dismantle the wheel if you are only interested in the hub/brake assemble, which includes the Shimano 16~28 5 speed freewheel.)
5 - The tandem frame, make unknown - the lugwork is the same as many other makes of pre-war tandem, the frame is quite light, has rear facing rear dropouts but I don't think it is a 'track' frame because it has lugs for gears. The head bearing set was new in 1980 as were bottom bracket spindles and bearings, supplied by the Tandem Club of GB. Sale of the frame will include all bearings, seat pillars and handlebars and stems - and the modern rear carrier frame.
6 - the front wheel is a cheapo small flange non q/d hub in a steel rim - clean and sound, with good 27x1.25"tyre & tube.

LOCATION Near Darlington, NE England - tel 01325 314362 - Ask for Roger. I will email pictures. Postage of items will be at cost, no charge for packaging.

Seems a shame to break it down - can't you sell it complete ?

Top Bottom