Preferred Grease ?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Jdratcliffe, 16 Jul 2012.

1. Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe Well-Known Member

looking to do more and more on my bike need a good grease for seat posts/BB ( if you can use the same stuff)? frame and seat post are ali fyi.

2. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

i use a lythium grease some thing like this.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5959

3. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Got one of those squeezy green tubes of grease from Halfords a couple of years back on one of their buy one get one free thingys. Does it's job.

4. Almost anything will do. I bought a tub of marine grease from a boat yard a few years ago which I'm still getting through...

Hawk likes this.
  5. compo

compo Veteran

I use lithium grease. Bought a tub from Earnest Doe's agricultural merchants 3 years ago and it is still going strong. I reckon it will see my cycling days out. If it's good enough for tractors and combined harvesters it's good enough for my bike!

6. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

I use Castrol LMX grease, £4 for a 400g cartridge. It's thin enough to squirt down an 18g hypodermic needle so you can get it accurately onto derailleur pivots. It's good for bearings too. I have no idea how it stacks up against othe greases but it seems to work OK.

7. OP
    OP
    Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe Well-Known Member

where you get your needle from?

8. Andy_R

Andy_R Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

Don't know why, but for some reason I read that as "margerine grease":laugh:

mickle likes this.
  9. This: http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/crystal.htm

Crystal™ Grease:

A Different Kind of Bicycle Grease!
    Crystal Clear. Odorless. Non-Staining. Non-toxic. Biodegradable.

White Lightning has developed Crystal™ Grease for cyclists and mechanics who are simply unwilling to compromise on performance or ecology. An aluminum based thickening system makes Crystal Grease 100% water proof, perfect for wet weather road rides or stream crossings on a mountain bike. Premium hydro-treated base oils deliver smooth bearing lubrication and long-lasting durability. Crystal Grease will not attack gaskets, seals or carbon fiber. Crystal will not stain painted surfaces. Crystal Grease allows mechanics to visually identify wear and contaminate particles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

11. you can definitely taste the difference.. ;)

one that costs four times as much..? ( ;) )

Hawk likes this.
  12. Moodyman

Moodyman Guru

Not tried it meself, but petroleum jelly gets plenty mentions on here and elsewhere.

Fab Foodie and a few others are huge advocates

13. Four times as much as what?

14. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

I use it. No problems so far, it's less damaging to the hands for those of us that hate working in latex gloves.

15. other greases..?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice