Premature short wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have noticed i am getting premature short wear , specifically just below the pad on the outside of the short where the inner thigh rests on the saddle.
I havent changed my set up and seems to be any brand , i used to get holes very quickly in shorts lower down which i traced to the velcro on my saddle pack .
I do ride multiple bikes with different saddle clamp arrangements , or could it be the saddle ? i do have the same saddle on all my bikes which are boardman clones of a fizik saddle 130 wide 270 long .

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you gained any weight so bits are rubbing more?

Maybe short quality isn't what it was? Buy a more expensive brand...I think Rapha even offer repairs for wear? Ah no it's only for crashes https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/repair-service

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

About half a stone compared to last year due to family events since last autumn i havent been able to get back to my summer weight even though im still knocking out the miles , shorts still fit fine as my trousers still fit (although not as loose .Stumps me .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I also cant get on with shorts with a narrow pad i need to have a wide pad on the inner thigh as i d have big thighs for my size

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
How much do you spend on your shorts and how quickly are they wearing out? I'm guessing it's just how you sit and move around on the saddle. How do you wash the shorts?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

How much do you spend on your shorts and how quickly are they wearing out? I'm guessing it's just how you sit and move around on the saddle. How do you wash the shorts?
Shorts tend to be £40-50, cant afford anymore as im riding normally 6 days a week .
washed inside out so dont think its the washing

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’ve never experienced wear like that even with budget shorts. Is the saddle you’re using quite flat in profile?
Your shorts may be rubbing on the edges?
You could try a more rounded saddle, maybe a Fabric Scoop Radius or something similar.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I’ve never experienced wear like that even with budget shorts. Is the saddle you’re using quite flat in profile?
Your shorts may be rubbing on the edges?
You could try a more rounded saddle, maybe a Fabric Scoop Radius or something similar.
1570272736085.png

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Difficult to tell from your photo, not quite as flat as I thought? but the Fabric Scoop saddle definitely has more of a radius and from front to back has a more sculptured profile so more of your weight would be on the pad bit of the shorts rather than where you are getting the holes.

Last edited:
How could I not click on this?
Are we talking lycra shorts?
Never had an issue.
Have had surface abrasion wear, but not catasrophic, from when I used to lead lots of rides so had a bumbag with camera for ride reports.
Told a female friend these were the result of female ride folks clawing at me but of course disbelieved.
Am either mystified or impressed by your problem, await further clues.
Your budget is fine - i use lycra shorts priced between 7 and 40, never had an issue I can't find a reason for.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

View attachment 487820

Difficult to tell from your photo, not quite as flat as I thought? but the Fabric Scoop saddle definitely has more of a radius and from front to back has a more sculptured profile so more of your weight would be on the pad bit of the shorts rather than where you are getting the holes.

Attachments

• IMG_20170528_122554608[1].jpg
    IMG_20170528_122554608[1].jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 5
  • team carbon.jpg
    team carbon.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

hope this helps ? without getting a photo of the wear , which i might do in a bit the wear is here directly in the middle next to the saddle

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom