Premier Inn as a tour Base.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wife and I are thinking of doing some Premier Inn based tours when this virus thing allows us. I see that Premier Inn say that Cyclists are very welcome and Bicycles can be taken into rooms. Does anyone have any experience of this type of tour. Seems like a very good idea, being of a certain age, the thought of a comfortable bed at the end of the day is most appealing.

HelenD123

Guru
If budget isn't an issue and this appeals, go for it. It will mean you also have to pay to eat out too. I prefer camping and cooking, but do mix in the occasional hotel. A roof over your head feels particularly good when the weather is bad. I've found most hotel rooms have enough space to store a bike without it getting in the way. It's reassuring knowing you can go out in the evening without worrying about your bike or kit.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Premier and Travelodge are fine with you taking bikes into the room. I even had one receptionist move me from an upstairs room to a ground floor when she saw me pushing the bike in.

They're not cheap places, though!

Slick

Guru
I think its a great idea although I'm not sure about routes as I think you would need to cover some distance up here to stick to them only.
Screenshot_20181017-191813_Maps.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Normally I would be in agreement, but there are some very good deals going just now. I am heading down to Englandshire quite soon; Berkshire to be more precise. Normally I would be expecting to pay about £80 per night, but I booked it about a week ago and got 4 nights for £124 :okay:. My plan is to take a bike and keep it in my room, then doing day trips by bike around the surrounding areas. Might even wander into London on the train with the bike - taking a large D lock with me.

As far as I know, Premier Inn and Travelodge are the only 2 UK hotel chains that let you do this. Most hotels will be horrified at the suggestion. Go over to France and they are much more relaxed about it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Normally I would be in agreement, but there are some very good deals going just now. I am heading down to Englandshire quite soon; Berkshire to be more precise. Normally I would be expecting to pay about £80 per night, but I booked it about a week ago and got 4 nights for £124 :okay:. My plan is to take a bike and keep it in my room, then doing day trips by bike around the surrounding areas. Might even wander into London on the train with the bike - taking a large D lock with me.

As far as I know, Premier Inn and Travelodge are the only 2 UK hotel chains that let you do this. Most hotels will be horrified at the suggestion. Go over to France and they are much more relaxed about it.
They're doing good deals at the mo to get business going again. 👍🏼

screenman

Legendary Member
Never paid more than £35 a night in a Premier and that all over the country, book early is the way we get a bargain.

vt2

Guru
Stayed in quite a few Premier Inns and Travelodges on tour. Both allow bikes in the rooms and in some they have stored the bikes in the luggage room, laundry room or even an office.

However, it is not limited to these two hotel groups, have stayed with bike in Holiday Inns, Wetherspoons hotels [very helpful and some have dedicated bike lockers] and quite a lot of independents both in the UK and abroad - I don't camp at my age!. If you ring the hotels up to check before booking they almost always will find somewhere for the bikes and our group is normally between 8 and 16 strong.

MarkF

Guru
Premier and Travelodge are fine with you taking bikes into the room. I even had one receptionist move me from an upstairs room to a ground floor when she saw me pushing the bike in.

I've done it and think they are cheap, comfy bed, good nights sleep & bike security and I've never paid over £50. Everybody is different on tours, I like to be in cities, around life, cheap food & beer, I don't normally want to be on camping site in the UK. They (Travelodge/Premier etc) are souless places and I feel for the multi-jobbed staff but they certainly provide a comfortable nights sleep.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't normally want to be on camping site in the UK.
Especially in the current Covid19 situation. Communal toilets, showers etc. are going to be difficult.
Never was a camping fan; and especially dislike trying to get up after a rainy night and get showered, dressed, take the wet tent down and roll it into a soggy, heavy weight to strap onto the bike rack. Torture. It's just about bearable in good weather, but give me a hotel room every time.

MarkF

Guru
Especially in the current Covid19 situation. Communal toilets, showers etc. are going to be difficult.
Never was a camping fan; and especially dislike trying to get up after a rainy night and get showered, dressed, take the wet tent down and roll it into a soggy, heavy weight to strap onto the bike rack. Torture. It's just about bearable in good weather, but give me a hotel room every time.
That's how I feel but I am 57 now. I do take v.basic camping stuff in Spain if a particularly beautiful spot occurs.

OP
OP
Saracenlad

Saracenlad

Many thanks for the replies. Crap weather here today so the maps are out and we have a list of a dozen or so Premiers to plan some trips. Hope this virus can be controlled. Looking at Eastbourne last week I have serious doubts.

tom73

Guru
Plenty of deals if you look around the outlaws use them all the time. They often do offers with room and a meal deal on if you use as the on site pub which is the a chain they also own. We always end up eating in them when they come to stay so they can use the offer :laugh:
@Brandane idea sounds a good one. As You've look at York it's not a bad idea for a base plenty of placers around to do day out's on the bike.

Top Bottom