Prescription cycle sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Virtus Scientia

Anyone use prescription sunnies or have used them in the past? Any recommendations, places/brands to avoid?

I've tried contact lenses before but whenever I get any wind in the corner of my eye, my eye tends to water and I lose the lens.

I currently use a pair of prescription sunglasses which are designed for sport but they're very dark and if it's a bit overcast but still bright, I (a) feel like a pleb and (b) feel like I'm cycling in the dark.

Do proper cycling prescription sunglasses even exist?

Apologies if there is already a thread on this that I've missed.

There are a few around. There some which have a normal prescription insert which clips in behind the wrap around sun glasses. I saw some Adidas one at my local opticians recently, and there's a few others shown here. I think some of them look a bit odd close up, with the prescription insert behind.

Optilabs are probably the most mentioned for all in one type lenses though - I've modelling a pair in my picture! Those have Reactalite lenses. So they're only very slightly tinted when it's cloudy.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Optilabs offer a brilliant service.
I also have the reacalite (Transitions) lenses.
Optilabs will also send you a few frames to try first.

sackville d

Veteran
Optilabs . At the risk of repeating what everyone has just said.Transitions lenses (great for riding at night,very little tint)You can give your prescription online if your confident enough with that idea,very steight forward and they have just lopped £20 off the price. Bye Bye streaming eyes:thumbsup:

User269

These lenses can be fixed in any cycling eyewear; they're so cheap I've got them in my transitional pair, and a cheaper clear glass pair. They may not suit all , but I find the bifocal arrangement just what I need.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Thought about clip-in inserts, took some advice, and ended up spending a bit of money on Oakley Transitions. A bit extravagent, but the rubberised arms, prescription lenses, and variable darkeness means that I can use them for a variety of sports - running, cycling, ski-ing.

I like the option of using different lenses and prescription lenses limit this.

My personal choice is the Rudy Project system.

A small insert that can change lenses as your eyes change, yet allows the full lens range to be used

Top Bottom