Press Fit Bottom Bracket Removal and Install

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a set of bearing presses for much less than that cost, and they do all the bearings on my bike. Threaded rod if you need some welly and washers.

Removal is a little trickier. I have a slide hammer/blind bearing puller for removing frame bearings

Same as these two.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KingSaid-Blind-Bearing-Puller-9pcs/dp/B084ZDK2CX/ref=sr_1_45?dchild=1&keywords=bearing+puller&qid=1628066096&sr=8-45

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-Tools-07901-Bearing/dp/B074Q7NS9X/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=bearing+press&qid=1628066161&sr=8-16

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can knock the old ones out with a hammer and drift. The Park tool isn't much more sophisticated in that respect. A headset press and appropriate adaptors is ideal for fitting the new bearings.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I had to do this myself last week. Made a home made removal tool from some copper pipe and flared it out - look for YT vids on this.
Needless to say I borked it when trying to remove and ended up taking it into the nearby Giant Store. They switched BB for me for a reasonable workshop cost. Have now ordered a proper removal and install tool kit from Amazon... Good luck if you try the Blue Peter methods :okay:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Looks like hamster weight-lifting equipment but sure, could also work for BB (install)

I ordered this because it will do both removal and install, I believe. We will see...

Jody

Stubborn git
I usually use a hammer and a large flat bladed screwdriver for removal. Careful taps to make sure it comes out straight.

To press them back in I cobbled something together using a cylinder head stud, couple of large washers and a nut.

The edges of a BB are chamfered so there is little chance of it being installed correctly.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I decided while I wait for the part to come, to remove the crankset and clean the inside where the bottom bracket is, the crankshaft etc, and to apply some grease as a short term remedy. There was a bit of grime here and there.
All the noise is now gone - the bottom bracket is not kaput (for now). I will keep the part and fit it WHEN the noise start again,

Top Bottom