Press release from the FTA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Yes, I've just read their victim blaming. Despicable Ms Dee, how does she sleep at night?

classic33

Leg End Member
Get the RHA in on it & we may actually see a decrease in the number of incidents.
Forget that part. HGV drivers cannot beblamed it seems. We, as cyclists are at fault, no one else.
http://www.rha.uk.net/campaigning/press_releases/content/16179/tfl_targets_trucks_over_cycle_safety

Yes, I've just read their victim blaming. Despicable Ms Dee, how does she sleep at night?
Missed that bit, they are going to have to accept that they are part of the problem.

Last edited:
Whoops, missed this and posted the same in General, sorry:

The Freight Trade Association is right that road users must ride or drive responsibly. Yes, there is a problem with some cyclists not obeying some traffic regulations.

However, every single time the police conduct tests on lorries in London, they find a swathe of the industry content to regularly break the law - overloaded, dodgy tachometers, dodgy safety features. When the City of London conducted spot checks on lorries in 2008, 100% (yes, that's right, 100%) of the lorries stopped at random were breaking the law in some way. Spot checks in Wales recently found 80% of all HGVs were breaking the law.

Or, let's just remember Mary Bowers, The Times journalist hit by a lorry in 2011. The driver was on the phone (hands-free) at the time and then "and then failed to put the handbrake on when she was trapped under his wheels". The driver had previously admitted a series of tachograph offences, "including driving a lorry for 20 hours in one day when the maximum is 9 hours". Jurors concluded he had been "too engrossed in a telephone conversation with a work colleague, on a hands-free mobile kit, when he knocked Ms Bowers off her bike". He then tried to deny he'd even been on the phone in the first place and subsequently pleaded guilty to (again!) "driving in excess of the permitted hours".

The pendulum of responsibility swings both ways, Ms Dee, and if you're going to start throwing stones about the place, you'd better be sure your own glasshouse is made of stronger materials.

http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.gr/2013/09/freight-association-declares-war-on.html

They could have mentioned Dennis Putz, the drunk lorry driver on a mobile who killed Catriona Putz after having been banned from driving 17 times and STILL got a job as a HGV driver in London. Who insured him? What checks did his emplyer run?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
press.office@fta.co.uk

Dennis Putz.................

one of yours, I believe, Ms. Dee? I'd welcome your comments before your e-mail address gets sent to the 1638 people on my mailing list

Simon Legg

Moda

Press release from the Freight Transport Association re lorries and cyclists.

http://www.fta.co.uk/media_and_camp..._achieving_safe_roads_for_all_road_users.html

I have no connection with this industry at all but I think that people need to take a more balanced line on this.

Having read the above link It seems to me that it makes 2 very valid points. Road safety is everyone's responsibility. As a driver I've seen many cyclists being moronically stupid/dangerous. On my cycle commute how many cyclist do I see jumping red lights, going up the side of large vehicles, not stopping at zebra crossings when people are crossing, cycling on the pavement? Everyone needs to play there part.

Successive London Mayors have seen the answer to every problem as throw money at it. A large part of the cost of my new bike is being paid for by not having to pay for the punitive cost of a TravelCard. If this additional Tax makes cycling safer then I'm all for it but I suspect its just a smoke screen to rake in more money. It's really really easy not to like these hauliers but they play a vital part in getting stuff from a to b and any Tax will just get passed on to us in higher prices at the till. As I said if it does make cycling safer then fair enough but....

Reactions: _aD
Hauliers receive gigantic subsidies, they are the biggest freeloaders on the roads, and many of their journeys are completely pointless.

Moda

I'm not an apologist for the haulage industry I and I'd like to think everyone else is here to make roads safer. Playing the blame game does nobody any good.

Lots of industries receive subsidies look at trains. Judging by the empty carriages on Sunday evening I'd suspect the Tax payer is paying to shift fresh air around the country.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I have no connection with this industry at all but I think that people need to take a more balanced line on this.

Having read the above link It seems to me that it makes 2 very valid points. Road safety is everyone's responsibility..
yes, and that responsibility is proportionate to the damage one could inflict.

Now........why don't you go away and check out how London cyclists have been killed, and which vehicles are responsible? There's somebody on this forum who kept a list for five years. Check it out.

Ern1e

Über Member
I'm not an apologist for the haulage industry I and I'd like to think everyone else is here to make roads safer. Playing the blame game does nobody any good.

Lots of industries receive subsidies look at trains. Judging by the empty carriages on Sunday evening I'd suspect the Tax payer is paying to shift fresh air around the country.

+1 from me !lets face it something needs to be done and sooner rather than later IMO, I have seen cyclist's ride down the side of HGV's with left turn indicators on to me that is playing with death ! yes the drivers do have BLIND spots but they know about these and can fit extra mirrors to help eliminate these but again cost's can be an issue to some companies.So lets stop the blame game and try to help each other out and even if only one fatality a year is avoided then to me that would have been worth the effort.

Top Bottom