Press-ups.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
Trevrev said:
I'm hoping to achieve doing 100 press-ups. It's that simple !!

Personal goals are a great motivator, so with determination you'll blast through it before long. The mind gives out before the body, be stubborn and don't stop.

I would love to be able to do one! That said I'm a demon with the crunches...

walker

Trevrev said:
You're right Dayvo......Slow and contolled is the way forward, hence the reason i do batches of 50.
But excercise is quite dull, and it's good to have a challenge once in a while. Thats why i'm aiming for 100.
Not sure what i'll do when i reach that target.....LOL.

When I was PT training, one of the things we had to do was how many we could do in a minute, try that one next

Cahill

I do masses and masses of press ups at the gym and all varieties when I go to karate. The yoga/Hindu press ups are quite interesting. I find that most classes run at the gym always include them irrespective of the type of class. There are three female instructors in particular who knock press ups out like nobodys' business. Unbelievable but it does show what can be achieved with time and effort. I do loads of crunches and sit ups but don't feel as if I need them any more as I've done millions over the past 36 years. Since I semi retired aged 55 I'm never away from the gym, cycling doing martial arts or looking after the grand kids.

montage

God Almighty
Working on elbows in press ups with a very strict technique ( I dont let the back arch at all, ever) and lowered until the chest touches a sawn in half tennis ball.

Aiming to do 60 in 2 minutes for the Royal Marine's selection.
Need to do 16 overgrasp pullups (WOW HARD)
and 85 situps in 2 minutes

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
the problem with sit ups is your only lifting your own weight. at least doing various exercises with dumbbells you can increase the weight easily over time.

fwgx

I do about 20-40 pressups a day, but after a few years I still can't do more than 20 good ones at a time. They've just never gotten easier. I don't go to the gym though.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
I hit 92 this morning......So near yet so far. Thing is, after a 5 min rest i can still easily bang out another 60-70 before hitting the wall.
My work mate seems to think, me, having just cycled 7 miles isn't helping my efforts.
My thoughts are, thats the best time to do them, while i'm still warmed up.
It's getting closer !!!

Bill Gates

I got up to 110 press ups straight off a few years ago, but the form wasn't too good. Got bored so decided to keep the best form and go slowly and could only manage 50. Got bored again so now only do 20 but slowly with best form on the knuckles. No longer bored

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
You're right Bill, press-ups are boring, as is all exercise in my opinion.
But, added with crunches and my cycling ( Commuting only ), i'm looking fitter and leaner than i've ever looked in my 42 years.
Without spending Sh*t loads on gym membership, press-ups do wonders for top half.

Bill Gates

Trevrev said:
You're right Bill, press-ups are boring, as is all exercise in my opinion.
But, added with crunches and my cycling ( Commuting only ), i'm looking fitter and leaner than i've ever looked in my 42 years.
Without spending Sh*t loads on gym membership, press-ups do wonders for top half.

When you get to a stage that you feel there is nothing further to gain from doing an extra 10 reps then you need to vary it so as to make it more difficult or be content with the number you've reached. It seems you've not yet reached that stage.

Take crunches. You start by doing 10 then 20 and so on. When you can do 500 then you vary it by lifting your feet off the floor with your legs still bent. Get to 500 then you put your legs straight up towards the ceiling. It now gets harder again. I can now do 1000 crunches with my legs straight up but I only bother with 500. A 1000 just takes too long around 12 minutes. Enough is enough.

montage

God Almighty
I wonder what is more advantageous..... doing sets of sit ups/press ups say in 20s, or just try to max out (until failure) every time?

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
I've always been one for " Do it slow, made 'em grow".
Very controlled.......Hitting a max of between 30 to 40 press-ups.
It's only since i've been trying to hit 100 that i've upped my speed, although still controlled, just faster.....And in doing that i've felt more pumped at the end of my reps. Also i've seen a difference in my Chest and Abs. I feel, where i've been doing the slow reps for so long my body has got used to that regardless of what type of press-up i did.
Either way i think changing the routine once in a while is much better way to excercise.

Top Bottom