Press-ups.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevrev

Veteran
If i have a couple of spare minutes i do press-ups.
When i get to work in the morning after my 7 mile commute, i do press-ups and crunches. I try to get 200 press-ups done before i start work. I do them in batches of 50.
I'm now obsessed with being able to do 100 press-ups in one hit. With the amount of excercise i do i thought this would be easy........Wrong !!!
I'm hitting a wall at 90......
Can anyone here do 100 in one hit ??? :smile:

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Not sure if you have tried this http://hundredpushups.com/

I cracked but plan to go back to it

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I can do one proper one, after that it's more like trying to stretch my nose to touch the floor, followed by shaking and grunting to get back up again.

Me trying a pull up is a sight to behold.

ChrisKH

Guru
My brother can. Ex-RAF regiment. He can do them sleeping.

Sorry, that's not what you wanted to hear. If you do enough of them, regularly enough, you will break that barrier. But like anything, the minute you relax your numbers and reduce the volume the ability to do them endlessly, ends quite quickly. I am told.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Trevrev said:
Can anyone here do 100 in one hit ??? :smile:

Yep :laugh:
I work out 4 times a week and it took time. I did hit a wall at about 80 but got thru it by resting for 30 secs then doing more. After a couple of weeks I was able to get keep going without the break. Stick with it mate :smile:

The thing with push-ups, like sit-ups and crunches, is not the quantity of them, but the quality.

Slow, controlled exercises are more beneficial to the body than quick, sloppy ones.

Just have a look at the macho gym user lifting far too much on the dumb bells and using his whole upper body, and bending and twisting his back, instead of letting the arm/shoulder do the work.

But, saying that, that is an impressive amount of push-ups!

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Dayvo said:
The thing with push-ups, like sit-ups and crunches, is not the quantity of them, but the quality.

Slow, controlled exercises are more beneficial to the body than quick, sloppy ones.

Just have a look at the macho gym user lifting far too much on the dumb bells and using his whole upper body, and bending and twisting his back, instead of letting the arm/shoulder do the work.

But, saying that, that is an impressive amount of push-ups!

You're right Dayvo......Slow and contolled is the way forward, hence the reason i do batches of 50.
But excercise is quite dull, and it's good to have a challenge once in a while. Thats why i'm aiming for 100.
Not sure what i'll do when i reach that target.....LOL.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
200!

I can do three. And I cheat.

darkstar

I've never really seen the point of doing 100 reps of anything, why not put some weight on your back?

jeltz

Veteran
darkstar said:
I've never really seen the point of doing 100 reps of anything, why not put some weight on your back?

What ate you hoping to achieve?

I've been in able to do 100 in one go plenty of times, not at the moment but its only a weeks or 2's practice to get back there.

However its generally better to do fewer but to work a variety of different types of press ups and there are so many different types:-

Wide arm, hands close (tricep), press ups with a short pause on the halfway up and halfway down, slow controlled ones, explosive press up with a clap or complete feet and hands off the floor bounce, knuckle press ups, using press up bars (my favourite is them with feet on a chair), one leg off the ground, one arm (tripod) push ups, Hindu push ups.

If you do loads and loads of reps of one style then you won't build the other muscles which interact with the ones you are building.

Crankarm

Guru
jeltz said:
What ate you hoping to achieve?

I've been in able to do 100 in one go plenty of times, not at the moment but its only a weeks or 2's practice to get back there.

However its generally better to do fewer but to work a variety of different types of press ups and there are so many different types:-

Wide arm, hands close (tricep), press ups with a short pause on the halfway up and halfway down, slow controlled ones, explosive press up with a clap or complete feet and hands off the floor bounce, knuckle press ups, using press up bars (my favourite is them with feet on a chair), one leg off the ground, one arm (tripod) push ups, Hindu push ups.

If you do loads and loads of reps of one style then you won't build the other muscles which interact with the ones you are building.

Yeah, on your knuckles, one arm at a time on a concrete floor or on stone paving. Can you do 100 two arm press ups on your knuckles with a 20kg weight on your back and clapping your hands together between each?

The ones to do a lot of reps are 1) chin ups and 2) crunches - straight and twisting your trunk, right elbow to left side and left elbow to right side and 3) squat thrusts.

You must be pleasant company to work with all that smell of sweat :wacko:.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
jeltz said:

Do all that sort of stuff apart from the Hindu ones......Variety is the spice of life.

Top Bottom