1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pressure loss in tubed tyres with CO2

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by labougie, 13 Nov 2017.

1. labougie

labougie New Member

Just bought a Raleigh Bob with flat tyres. Inflated with CO2, but a week later, they were almost flat again. So, bought new tubes and swapped over - checked the old tubes with a little pressure from a hand pump and a full sink but couldn't find a leak. When I filled the new tubes I put some hand pumped air in first because a 16oz cartridge didn't quite get a 26"x2" hard enough, finished off with a cartridge per wheel and two days later they're noticeably softer again.

I did read that there's more leakage through a butyl inner tube wall with CO2 but is that REALLY enough to noticeably soften a tyre in 2 days?

2. PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270 Veteran

Co2 is a convenient get me home.

It’s not for long term usage.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    labougie

labougie New Member

Right - I hadn't realised that - that's why the message was in the "Beginners" section!

Thanks - I'll get one of those double foot pumps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. arch684

arch684 Über Member

^^this and when you get home deflate the tyre and fill it with air

• Like Like x 3
  5. Hacienda71

Hacienda71 Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

Don't get a foot pump, get a track pump, much much better. :okay:

• Like Like x 2
  6. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

2nd vote for a track pump but be aware there are 2 types, high volume or high pressure, if you're on 2" tyres you want a high volume one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. andrew_s

andrew_s Veteran

If you've got a road bike, get high pressure

• Like Like x 2
  8. CO2 is for getting you home after a puncture. It leaks because (I think!) has smaller molecules so escapes from the rubber tube.

So, use CO2 to get home after a puncture. When home fully deflate tyre then fill up with air and a track stand is ideal

• Like Like x 3
  9. OP
    OP
    labougie

labougie New Member

Thanks for all the input, guys - I'm sound.

• Like Like x 1