Pressure loss in tubed tyres with CO2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

labougie

Just bought a Raleigh Bob with flat tyres. Inflated with CO2, but a week later, they were almost flat again. So, bought new tubes and swapped over - checked the old tubes with a little pressure from a hand pump and a full sink but couldn't find a leak. When I filled the new tubes I put some hand pumped air in first because a 16oz cartridge didn't quite get a 26"x2" hard enough, finished off with a cartridge per wheel and two days later they're noticeably softer again.

I did read that there's more leakage through a butyl inner tube wall with CO2 but is that REALLY enough to noticeably soften a tyre in 2 days?

Co2 is a convenient get me home.

It’s not for long term usage.

OP
OP
labougie

labougie

Right - I hadn't realised that - that's why the message was in the "Beginners" section!

Thanks - I'll get one of those double foot pumps.

OP
OP
labougie

labougie

Thanks for all the input, guys - I'm sound.

froze

Über Member
I'm an odd duck on this one, fine, I'm just plain odd, anywho, I don't advocate CO2 unless your racing otherwise you don't need it. Why use CO2 air that cost money when a simple bike mounted pump uses free air? Why go through the effort of filling a tube with CO2 only to go home and drain all the air out and fill with a pump? that's twice the work. Why dispose of unnecessary waste? Of course when it comes to throwing those carts out you can do what a lot of CO2 users do and that is simply throw it discreetly along side the road...

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm an odd duck on this one, fine, I'm just plain odd, anywho, I don't advocate CO2 unless your racing otherwise you don't need it. Why use CO2 air that cost money when a simple bike mounted pump uses free air? Why go through the effort of filling a tube with CO2 only to go home and drain all the air out and fill with a pump? that's twice the work. Why dispose of unnecessary waste? Of course when it comes to throwing those carts out you can do what a lot of CO2 users do and that is simply throw it discreetly along side the road...

You do know of course who throws most of those containers away.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Maybe you mean a bike?

Most of those discarded canisters are Nitrous Oxide, not CO2. My local area is awash with the things. The local chavs inhale them like the 21st century equivalent of glue sniffing, then they drop the empty containers everywhere. Very dangerous as an old person could easily slip over on one of those things rolling about on the pavement.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Up in the peak district, with high winds and subzero temperatures the ease of blowing up a tube to 100psi in a split second is why I carry C02 as well as a pump. I don't want to standstill for any longer than necessary.
Agree with the others about the nitrous oxide canisters being the dumped ones you see a lot. Apart from the odd idiot most cyclists seem to take there stuff with them

Top Bottom