Presta valve problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sebinho

Hello,

On previous bikes, I've had clinchers with presta valves and have never had a problem using my "Beto" floor pump to inflate the tyres. On a new bike, I put on wheels with tubular rims and tyres (Vittoria Rally). The problem is, after loosening the nut on the valve and pressing it quickly to let out a jet of air, when I attach the pump to the valve and close the latch, air escapes as I pump. I can fill the tube with air only if I push the pump nozzle onto the valve with one hand as I pump with the other. It's really inconvenient! It's as if the pump nozzle has nothing to grip onto when its lever is fastened.

I notice that the valve is a removable one (two flat sides on the threaded section). I have tried tightening the valve with a pair of pliers (i don't have the correct tool) but it doesn't seem to help.

Might it be the pump that's the problem? Is there something else I can try?

Thanks,

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Hello,

On previous bikes, I've had clinchers with presta valves and have never had a problem using my "Beto" floor pump to inflate the tyres. On a new bike, I put on wheels with tubular rims and tyres (Vittoria Rally). The problem is, after loosening the nut on the valve and pressing it quickly to let out a jet of air, when I attach the pump to the valve and close the latch, air escapes as I pump. I can fill the tube with air only if I push the pump nozzle onto the valve with one hand as I pump with the other. It's really inconvenient! It's as if the pump nozzle has nothing to grip onto when its lever is fastened.

I notice that the valve is a removable one (two flat sides on the threaded section). I have tried tightening the valve with a pair of pliers (i don't have the correct tool) but it doesn't seem to help.

Might it be the pump that's the problem? Is there something else I can try?

Thanks,

Do not unscrew the nut too far. Try taking it only half way or less and see what happens.

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

Do not unscrew the nut too far. Try taking it only half way or less and see what happens.
Thanks, yes, I've tried that. No position of the nut helps. I'll attach a photo with nut fully unscrewed. Does anything look out of order?

valve.jpeg

Edit: The shaft on my clincher tube valves has ridges along the entire length, right to the end. The nozzle on the pump seems to grip onto this - but does not grip on to the cutaway section on the brass shaft of the tubular valve - it doesn't reach it. Perhaps the valve is not fully screwed in, which makes the distance too great.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
It's normal to hold the pump nozzle / press the tyre as you start to inflate the tube. It just persuades the pump to stay put and the air to go into the right place.

simongt

Guru
Interesting post. I've been using Presta valves for about sixty years and only had an issue once when the whole valve core came out when I released the track pump head. :eek:
Obviously I've just been lucky - ! :okay:

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

Top Bottom