Presta valve problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Zefal recommend to periodically add a small amount of light oil to the pump head rubber seal on their HPX frame fit to stop it drying out. You might want to try it on some of these other pumps.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Zefal recommend to periodically add a small amount of light oil to the pump head rubber seal on their HPX frame fit to stop it drying out. You might want to try it on some of these other pumps.
I have both light and oil. What ratio should I mix them in? 🤡

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

Thanks, I tried a drop of singer oil - didn't help unfortunately, probably too far gone.

Has anyone tried the Shimano Pro Snaplock pump heads? I can get these locally but not the SKS heads.
ad-snaplock-for-team-floor-pump-8717009343817-11-l.jpg

CharleyFarley

On previous bikes, I've had clinchers with presta valves and have never had a problem using my "Beto" floor pump to inflate the tyres. On a new bike, I put on wheels with tubular rims and tyres (Vittoria Rally). The problem is, after loosening the nut on the valve and pressing it quickly to let out a jet of air, when I attach the pump to the valve and close the latch, air escapes as I pump. I can fill the tube with air only if I push the pump nozzle onto the valve with one hand as I pump with the other. It's really inconvenient! It's as if the pump nozzle has nothing to grip onto when its lever is fastened.

I notice that the valve is a removable one (two flat sides on the threaded section). I have tried tightening the valve with a pair of pliers (i don't have the correct tool) but it doesn't seem to help.

Might it be the pump that's the problem? Is there something else I can try?

Thanks,
A spoke tool would be better for checking the valve for tightness. Perhaps a new valve is needed. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.

I put Presta to Schrader adapters on my fat bike because I carry an electric pump when I go on long runs, and it won't fit a Presta valve. Filling a fat tire, using a hand pump, doesn't appeal to me. I had a flat four miles from home, and although I had a patch kit, the pumping up on a hot day wasn't going to be done by me. Although some recommend removing the adapters after pumping up the tire, I leave mine on, with the Presta screw thing undone, and it doesn't leak.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

I prefer silicone lubricant as ordinary oil will perish the rubber. At least that was that we were told with reference to dry suit seals for scuba.

Top Bottom