Presta Valves Silly Question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Just swapped tubes over on my road bike, previous valves were smooth new ones are threaded do I need to screw on the threaded washer?

Not at all interested in the weight implications more the possible movement of the valve against the hole in nice soft alloy.

col

Legendary Member
mondobongo said:
Just swapped tubes over on my road bike, previous valves were smooth new ones are threaded do I need to screw on the threaded washer?

Not at all interested in the weight implications more the possible movement of the valve against the hole in nice soft alloy.

Its there to stop the valve going in when you press a pump onto it,as well as any movement of the tube in the tyre,i would put it on.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
alecstilleyedye said:
on one bike i always put the washer on, the other i don't need to so much as the rims are deeper, which stops the valve moving about.

I use them on rims with a flat surface (are these called box section?) On the new bike, which doesn't have a flat surface where spokes meet rim, I don't.

02GF74

Über Member
interestng - you are referring to the round nut that goes onto the valve stem.

If the tube came with them, I fit them. It never occured to me not to.... but now that is has been mentioned, I can't really see what purpose they serve other than making it easier to pump up a flat tyre wuth a hand pump as that usualyy results in pushing the valve stem in into the rim making it harder to pump up, obvisouly the probkemn goes away once there is air in the tube.

Top Bottom