Pretty cold out this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...I set off early intending to do my weekly 90km loop but realised soonish that i wasnt really up for it & ended up back on my 35km loop...the cold was not a problem on my legs as I had tights on...but up top I was freezing even though I had on a base layer and jacket...call me wimp if you like but I am used to carrying around a little more ...erm...blubber...than I am at the moment, although I still need to lose a fair bit still.

The was one bloke out in shorts and a T shirt:ohmy:....and htere were others out in similar kit to me....nice and sunny though, but cold.

Emu

I'm glad I chose the lazy option this morning and only cycled about 2 miles on my Brompton and travelled the other 11 by train. I put the wrong gloves on. By the time I got to the station my fingers were almost numb.

urbanrider

Ya it was cold, i have some nike tights somewhere at home will be doing some hunting this weekend me thinks, did get some looks from people cycling along in my shorts but gave them my hard man look, and then cried when no one was looking :ohmy:;)

barq

It was a bit of a shock this morning! I walked into the office (about 50mins) just after dawn and it was pretty chilly. I had to go back and pick up a hoodie to wear.

twowheelsgood

It drops to between -9 and -15 some mornings here in winter, basically cycling involves a mixture of cyling and ski clothing, particularly googles and gloves. Having the surface of your eyeballs begin to freeze is an odd and decidedly unpleasant experience.

My main problem is usually feet. Even with 2 pairs of socks and thermal overshoes, you have about 40minutes or your feet begin to freeze. I made the mistake of trying to quickly revive them once using a hot bath. They say Krakatoa could be heard 3000miles away. I'm sure my scream came a close second.

If you are cold on top BTFB, then I'd recommend you look at a Foska training Jacket. Very comfortable and with one base layer, they can cope with -15C.

It gets a bit nippy here too in the winter, anything from -5 to -25, and that's without a wind-chill factor.
Helly-Hansen do some good under garments, but for getting and keeping warm, without over-heating, is a merino wool, long-sleeved round-neck shirt, which is what I wear at work at the mo. Warm as toast.

Check out www.groundeffect.co.nz which someone here recommended a while back.

twowheelsgood

Ever done any biking with studded tyres, like the Nokians Dayvo? I'd love to try that this year...

twowheelsgood said:
It drops to between -9 and -15 some mornings here in winter, basically cycling involves a mixture of cyling and ski clothing, particularly googles and gloves. Having the surface of your eyeballs begin to freeze is an odd and decidedly unpleasant experience.

Gulp!!! Makes me feel positively ashamed about being tempted to wear my fleecy bib tights this morning. :ohmy:

twowheelsgood said:
Ever done any biking with studded tyres, like the Nokians Dayvo? I'd love to try that this year...

I've got a cheap, but effective pair of plain studded tyres. Good for the ice and snow in the woods or off track, but I don't feel too comfortable with them on tarmac, as and when the roads are ploughed and gritted.
But I do recommend it. :ohmy:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Dayvo said:
I've got a cheap, but effective pair of plain studded tyres. Good for the ice and snow in the woods or off track, but I don't feel too comfortable with them on tarmac, as and when the roads are ploughed and gritted.
But I do recommend it. :ohmy:
Can you just bang nails through..oh..er...:biggrin:

Top Bottom