Pretty pleased with this one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cronorider

This CX bike was posted on the local buy/sell, and while I didn't have any plans to buy a gravel bike, it was such a great deal I had to jump on it. It's a 2013 Kona 'Jake the Snake' with Shimano Ultegra rear deraileur, and other parts 105. The original owner was a guy who wanted to use it as a commuter, as well as some gravel riding. He put maybe 1500 kms on this thing, but he's the type of rider who would think that is a lot over the time that he had it. Ultimately he decided he wanted something more upright and plush. With the taxes in, this bike originally cost about $1800 Canadian. Picked it up for $600, not bad for a bike that is pretty much brand new IMO. Super comfortable to ride

DSCN8052.jpg

IBarrett

Über Member
Its a nice looking bike for sure. I'm not sure I understand the concept of a gravel bike as such. MTB or road is the extent of my limited grasp of things but it looks like it could handle a club road outing anyway.

OP
OP
C

Cronorider

Its a nice looking bike for sure. I'm not sure I understand the concept of a gravel bike as such. MTB or road is the extent of my limited grasp of things but it looks like it could handle a club road outing anyway.

The gravel roads around here have virtually no traffic on them, so they are very pleasant to ride on, much more quiet and peaceful then many of the paved roads. I think that is the main appeal for me and most folks who have gravel bikes. They also allow you to go places where you wouldn't go on a skinny tire road bike. They are also more comfortable to ride than mountain bikes as the road bars offer a wider range of hand positions the MTB bars.

I'm not sure gravel bikes make a huge amount of sense in the UK, we just don't have those sort of roads - and because we've (largely) kept the railways, not so many rail trails either.

I gather in the US gravel riding is something like Audaxing, where you follow a set route for hundreds of km, but it's mostly car free or low traffic.

Nice bike :okay:

OP
OP
C

Cronorider

I'm not sure gravel bikes make a huge amount of sense in the UK, we just don't have those sort of roads - and because we've (largely) kept the railways, not so many rail trails either.

I gather in the US gravel riding is something like Audaxing, where you follow a set route for hundreds of km, but it's mostly car free or low traffic.

Nice bike :okay:

Some riders are using them for road around here, as you can put smooth, up to 40 mil tires on them, which makes for a very plush ride, without sacrificing a lot of speed

My daily commuter is the green version of that very bike. I've got Marathon+s on it for puncture resistance and interrupter brake levers for control in traffic - bloody love my Jake the Snake, great bike and I'm sure you will too :smile:

OP
OP
C

Cronorider

My daily commuter is the green version of that very bike. I've got Marathon+s on it for puncture resistance and interrupter brake levers for control in traffic - bloody love my Jake the Snake, great bike and I'm sure you will too :smile:

Nice! - do you have the disc brakes?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That’s a lovely bike @Cronorider and bought at a great price. I have a Specialized AWOL which I bought here for a silly price and I appreciate the concept, and it’s a great bike for here. I do love Kona bikes and maybe I’ll have one one day. Shame you couldn’t get the disc version.

Nice! - do you have the disc brakes?
Nope, the same Tektro cantis on mine, and they've always been enough. :okay:

OP
OP
C

Cronorider

That’s a lovely bike @Cronorider and bought at a great price. I have a Specialized AWOL which I bought here for a silly price and I appreciate the concept, and it’s a great bike for here. I do love Kona bikes and maybe I’ll have one one day. Shame you couldn’t get the disc version.

Yep - but the cantis do the job and the price was right

Top Bottom