Preventing bike theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hafu10

Hi guys,

Need a bit of advice. My girlfriends bike recently got stolen, and unfortunately it wasn’t covered by insurance.

She has recently replaced it with a new electric bike. Now, I have been looking into tracking devises just in case something terrible happens in the future again. I lock the bike everyday with two D-Locks along with the cable that came in the set + another chain to really offput any thieves.

As I still don’t feel comfortable, could I get some advise on whether or not we should purchase a tracking device, if yes what brand? And if we should insure it.

Thanks for your time!!

Slick

Guru
I caught the tail end of a programme about bike thefts last week where they fitted a tracker which the thief quickly found and broke off and all the intrepid reporters were able to recover was the tracker itself.

Have you got one of those d locks that cover the bike up to a certain value?

Drago

Legendary Member
The best lock you can afford, locked to something very solid. Even then, be prepared for the pro bike thieves to come well equipped .

High quality D locks are good against pry bars and bolt cutters, but can be vulnerable to grinders. Conversely, high end armoured cables have kevlar fibres under the links that clog grinders, but can be vulnerable to bolt croppers. By using different types of lock you force Johnny Scumbag to carry different types of weapon to defeat them, which should protect you from all but the most very organised scumbag. Even then, best not to leave it unattended if at all possible - at the end of the day a bike is a portable object.

classic33

Leg End Member
Most trackers, unless you're willing to pay for their use after buying, will be short range Bluetooth connections. You can buy, and use, the same sort they use on motorbikes. Real time tracking and no further fee. Problem is the price.

There are SIM card based trackers, that fit in various parts of the frame. Head tube & seat post being the most common.

One problem you'll have, if you've managed to track the bike down, is getting the police involved. I followed one of mine from where it was stolen, to Holyhead, via South Yorkshire, Greater Manchester and the North Wales coast. But unable to get the police involved, at any point. It's last known location was just outside the Port of Holyhead. Knowing where it was, and unable to get to it just added to the frustration.

As said by @Drago, invest in the money in a better lock. If you want to try a Bluetooth tracking device, try The Range for "Track and Find", £4·99 for two. The limits of the device will show.

I used to take my front wheel out and place it next to the rear wheel so that I could link the locks through both wheels and the frame. I would also release the rear wheel so that if anyone did try stealing it then they would have bits dropping off making life difficult.

OP
OP
H

Hafu10

• I used to take my front wheel out and place it next to the rear wheel so that I could link the locks through both wheels and the frame. I would also release the rear wheel so that if anyone did try stealing it then they would have bits dropping off making life difficult.

Thanks for the reply! Will give this a try with the front wheel.

OP
OP
H

Hafu10

The best lock you can afford, locked to something very solid. Even then, be prepared for the pro bike thieves to come well equipped .

High quality D locks are good against pry bars and bolt cutters, but can be vulnerable to grinders. Conversely, high end armoured cables have kevlar fibres under the links that clog grinders, but can be vulnerable to bolt croppers. By using different types of lock you force Johnny Scumbag to carry different types of weapon to defeat them, which should protect you from all but the most very organised scumbag. Even then, best not to leave it unattended if at all possible - at the end of the day a bike is a portable object.

Thanks for your reply @Drago

OP
OP
H

Hafu10

I caught the tail end of a programme about bike thefts last week where they fitted a tracker which the thief quickly found and broke off and all the intrepid reporters were able to recover was the tracker itself.

Have you got one of those d locks that cover the bike up to a certain value?

Thanks for your reply @Slick, we have two D-locks. One On-Guard and one kryptonite (both gold standard) also a flimsy chain. Do you recommend any locks?

OP
OP
H

Hafu10

Most trackers, unless you're willing to pay for their use after buying, will be short range Bluetooth connections. You can buy, and use, the same sort they use on motorbikes. Real time tracking and no further fee. Problem is the price.

There are SIM card based trackers, that fit in various parts of the frame. Head tube & seat post being the most common.

One problem you'll have, if you've managed to track the bike down, is getting the police involved. I followed one of mine from where it was stolen, to Holyhead, via South Yorkshire, Greater Manchester and the North Wales coast. But unable to get the police involved, at any point. It's last known location was just outside the Port of Holyhead. Knowing where it was, and unable to get to it just added to the frustration.

As said by @Drago, invest in the money in a better lock. If you want to try a Bluetooth tracking device, try The Range for "Track and Find", £4·99 for two. The limits of the device will show.

Thank you for your reply! Very informative!

Slick

Guru
Thanks for your reply @Slick, we have two D-locks. One On-Guard and one kryptonite (both gold standard) also a flimsy chain. Do you recommend any locks?
Can't recommend anything particular as I'm pretty much with my bike all the time but when Mrs Slick decided she wanted quite an expensive ebike I knew she would need a good lock and bought one that was designed to cover up to and beyond the value of the bike.

Top Bottom