Price increase on new cars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Used car prices have gone insane lately.
I've never been financially blessed to afford a new car and have always picked carefully when buying second hand.
I've owned my current car for 10 years and is now 22 year's old.I paid £1500 back then and by and large it's been pretty reliable. This 12 months gone though, age has started to creep up on it with a few expensive mechanical repairs needed.
Body work it's in perfect condition but it's needed alot of consumable parts and a few annoying awkward jobs to keep it going.
Im also finding it difficult to find some spares for it to, as the cars brand no longer exists.
I was considering changing it for another car for around £1500, until I saw the rubbish out there for that price.
I was shocked to see that similar cars to mine (make and model) with around the same mileage and condition were now selling for £1700.
Its crazy to think that my car has potentially appreciated in value by £200 in 10 years.
The car is nothing special but it does attract some attention due to its rarity,and the only reason why I can think its probably worth more now ( or the same as I paid for it) is the lack of cheaper second hand motors around.
I've never been one for living beyond my means by buying on the drip.If I can't afford it outright ,go without.
So I've decided to hang on to it and keep on top of the repairs as they come along. Apart from the ongoing repairs that it keeps throwing my way from time to time it's depreciated by nothing and is something that you don't see everyday on the roads.
I pity youngsters today starting out in life.Buying a small first car and insuring it costs a small fortune nowadays.They also want to go out with there friends for a drink and save up for a roof over there head all on minimum wages that so many places pay.
In reality this not going to happen for them.
In the not so distant future, Electric cars will be the only option if you want to buy new and they will be way out of the price range for most.The practicality of charging them outside your terrace house or flat will be somewhat questionable.What remains of the old fossil fuel cars will sky rocket in price as people will hang on to them for as long as possible.
Personally I think Private car ownership will be a thing of the past in 20 years to come.(just my 2 pence worth)

Lookrider

As a manager of a large car dealership, I can tell you that this is simply not the case. Not sure where you got this info but it is incorrect.
Is that the car salesman patter coming out simon
You obviously rather we buy later at extra cost
Sorry Simon I'm not being offensive

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Used car prices have gone insane lately.
I've never been financially blessed to afford a new car and have always picked carefully when buying second hand.
I've owned my current car for 10 years and is now 22 year's old.I paid £1500 back then and by and large it's been pretty reliable. This 12 months gone though, age has started to creep up on it with a few expensive mechanical repairs needed.
Body work it's in perfect condition but it's needed alot of consumable parts and a few annoying awkward jobs to keep it going.
Im also finding it difficult to find some spares for it to, as the cars brand no longer exists.
I was considering changing it for another car for around £1500, until I saw the rubbish out there for that price.
I was shocked to see that similar cars to mine (make and model) with around the same mileage and condition were now selling for £1700.
Its crazy to think that my car has potentially appreciated in value by £200 in 10 years.
The car is nothing special but it does attract some attention due to its rarity,and the only reason why I can think its probably worth more now ( or the same as I paid for it) is the lack of cheaper second hand motors around.
I've never been one for living beyond my means by buying on the drip.If I can't afford it outright ,go without.
So I've decided to hang on to it and keep on top of the repairs as they come along. Apart from the ongoing repairs that it keeps throwing my way from time to time it's depreciated by nothing and is something that you don't see everyday on the roads.
I pity youngsters today starting out in life.Buying a small first car and insuring it costs a small fortune nowadays.They also want to go out with there friends for a drink and save up for a roof over there head all on minimum wages that so many places pay.
In reality this not going to happen for them.
In the not so distant future, Electric cars will be the only option if you want to buy new and they will be way out of the price range for most.The practicality of charging them outside your terrace house or flat will be somewhat questionable.What remains of the old fossil fuel cars will sky rocket in price as people will hang on to them for as long as possible.
Personally I think Private car ownership will be a thing of the past in 20 years to come.(just my 2 pence worth)
I agree with your sentiments in general but there are a lot of youngsters with decent to v.nice cars to run around in, plus taking nice holidays that I could never afford at their age and who are earning some decent salaries.

I guess the issue of inequality comes into the equation too although I'll stop there before I get too NACA.

Last edited:
I think I've had my car since 2014 from new. It's a Chevrolet Cruze Station Wagon which was sold less than half price because Chevrolet were leaving the UK market for mainstream cars. Full price was £17k with the silver paint but paid just under £8k. It's a manual gearbox, petrol engine without turbo. It's got luxuries like a 6 speaker sound system, central locking, heated powered mirrors, full powered windows, air conditioning etc plus a ton of air bags but mechanically I choose it for its simplicity as I don't do many miles. I've done no work to it except for wiper blades and general servicing. It's still on the same tyres and battery. It's mechanical gauges and basic dashboard display (simple LED panel).

It's very reliable with very low repair costs for a largish estate. Mine is probably more reliable than the average below from the data because its a much simpler model than many of the Cruze models with turbos, diesels, start/stop etc.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210226193034/https://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/46

It's made at the old Daewoo factory that is GM Korea or was. Very similar to the Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer but I'd say better screwed together as the reliability data shows.

No reason to change it to be honest and always easy to find in a car park as such a rare model. Feels good to keep a car a long time when the UK economy is so damaged through a large trading deficit with huge debts. I feel like I'm not part of the consumer madness and huge environmental damage.

I agree with your sentiments in general but there are a lot of youngsters with decent to v.nice cars to run around in, plus taking nice holidays that I could never afford at their age and who are earning some decent salaries.

I guess the issue of inequality comes into the equation too although I'll stop there before I get too NACA.
I guess holidays and nice cars are far more affordable now than they were. And houses so much less affordable that you can't blame kids for giving up on buying their own.

Simple Simon

Veteran
Is that the car salesman patter coming out simon
You obviously rather we buy later at extra cost
Sorry Simon I'm not being offensive
So, I contribute a genuine insight into an industry I have worked for 20 years, correcting a post that had some wrong info and this is your response?
I manage one of the busiest prestige dealerships in the UK and was correct when I said prices were not unilaterally being increased.
If anything I was making sure no one panic bought thinking prices were going up.

Lookrider

So, I contribute a genuine insight into an industry I have worked for 20 years, correcting a post that had some wrong info and this is your response?
I manage one of the busiest prestige dealerships in the UK and was correct when I said prices were not unilaterally being increased.
If anything I was making sure no one panic bought thinking prices were going up.
Ok Simon
I apologise ...meant up be tongue in cheek but guess I was indeed to sharp and should not have jumped in
Sorry again

Top Bottom