Primary and Secondary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cope said:
Just reading a thread on here - I have no idea what "Primary" and "Secondary" positions are.

Could someone explain?

See thread how far from the kerb

According to Cyclecraft (p 85-92), the standard riding positions away from junctions are:

The primary riding position - in the centre of the leftmost moving traffic lane for the direction in which you wish to travel

and

The secondary riding position - about 1 metre (3 feet) to the left of the moving traffic lane if the road is wide, but not closer than 0.5 metre (1.5 feet) to the edge of any road

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cope said:
Just reading a thread on here - I have no idea what "Primary" and "Secondary" positions are.

Could someone explain?

Secondary: the ideal riding position on the road. Generally somewhere near the left hand wheel track of cars, or between half and one metres from the kerb. Far enough out to avoid drains, rubbish in the gutter and so on, and to help yourself to be seen.

Primary: Futher out, usually middle of the lane. Adopted at points where you wish to prevent drivers behind overtaking dangerously - coming up to junctions, or points where the road narrows but they might still think it's ok to brush past.

All explained in Cyclecraft, the manual for modern cycling on the road.

Arch

Married to Night Train
To add: Many novices think it's best to keep 'out of the way' in the gutter. In fact it's thought that the wider a driver percieves you to be, the more room they give you. Hence secondary being further out than some expect. And you are less peripheral in drivers' vision if you are out a bit. Also, if someone does still pass close, you have more room to swerve into. If someone passes you close and you're already in the gutter, you have nowhere to go if you can't bunny hop the kerb.

wafflycat

Arch said:
To add: Many novices think it's best to keep 'out of the way' in the gutter. In fact it's thought that the wider a driver percieves you to be, the more room they give you. Hence secondary being further out than some expect. And you are less peripheral in drivers' vision if you are out a bit. Also, if someone does still pass close, you have more room to swerve into. If someone passes you close and you're already in the gutter, you have nowhere to go if you can't bunny hop the kerb.

The Theory of BIG

Dave5N

Über Member
Primary - sprung from behind.

Secondary - hit by wing mirror or forced into wall, post or other obstruction. Dead or worse.

Difference is, with Primary they get into trouble when they kill you. ('Sorry, didn't see him.' 'but he was two foot in front in the middle of your field of vision. You're nicked you scrote an' you're goin' dahn') etc.

FFS

Dave5N

Über Member
Edit: sometimes.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Alternatively-

Primary=The position you ride in if you want to aggravate the car behind you and get some good footage of close shaves to put on youtube

purplepolly

Arch said:
In fact it's thought that the wider a driver percieves you to be, the more room they give you..

I definately get more room riding with panniers than without. My theory is that drivers, bless'em, think that the bicycle and rider is as wide as the bit nearest to them, i.e the rear wheel (and rack).

On secondary and primary, apart from at junctions adn pinchpoints, I find my position is mostly dictated by the road surface. Secondary - normal position that avoids the rough surface and potholes nearer the gutter.
Primary - to avoid the double decker bus swallowing potholes. Occasionally when the pothole straggles primary, I'll ride nearer the gutter.

Top Bottom