Primary position and heavy cycle traffic.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
gawd, there's room between secondary and primary, if I was turning left I wouldn't do it from primary because it's asking for something to try to pass inside you surely, their fault doesn't overly come into it, it's about being defensive surely

your argument sounds a bit too alike to a car left hooking, 'I slowed down and signalled and the bike came from nowhere office'

with all respect

the trouble with primary on a bike is that it's good for straight ahead in traffic, not so much for turns, especially left turns when there's the potential for other bikes or even scooters and motorbikes

hand signals tend to be short, not like indicators so road position is more important

imho

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Tynan said:
the trouble with primary on a bike is that it's good for straight ahead in traffic, not so much for turns, especially left turns when there's the potential for other bikes or even scooters and motorbikes

I've had this happen once, from primary position. I've made the mistake of being in secondary position at a corner many times and had many near misses because of it, and I've seen a heck of a lot more of them too. Simply put, the place most experienced cyclists would reccomend being for most left turns in city traffic would be primary. You may have a slight risk of another bicycle undertaking you (unlikely, if you're signalling), but the risk of being left hooked or having someone step out from the pavement in front is much greater.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Tynan said:
your argument sounds a bit too alike to a car left hooking, 'I slowed down and signalled and the bike came from nowhere office

The left hook is more from a vehicle thats overtaken you. If you undertake a vehicle thats consistantly been infront of you and is indicating a left turn.......you're inline for a darwin award

Tynan,

I've referenced this clip many times

The cyclist is carrying on in this case, but imaging if he is turning, would he have enough space to make that turn safely? No. He would be squeezed into the curb. This would be very dangerous in my opinion, what do you think?

Tynan

Veteran
again and again, I'm not advocating secondary, show me where I have, merely a position that indicates an intention to turn left, something to the left of primary

hand signals are rarely as sustained as an indicator

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Tynan said:
again and again, I'm not advocating secondary, show me where I have, merely a position that indicates an intention to turn left, something to the left of primary

hand signals are rarely as sustained as an indicator

Then you're not in primary, so you're not dissuading the left hook so well. Its the left hook thats really more likely to hurt you.

Top Bottom