Prince of Persia - Moan/Rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
My son saved for 3 months awaiting the launch of this game, bought it on Saturday on the PS3 for £39.99

He started playing it on Sunday afternoon, 8 hours of gameplay later (on tuesday) he had completed it.... a very unhappy 10 year old..

Same thing happened with the last few Tomb Raider games! It pisses me off when you pay full price for games with really short completion times and no longevity in gameplay (in terms of online capabilities or multiplayer levels). :biggrin::angry::biggrin:

COD MW2 campaign was completed in similar time but the special ops and online gameplay means the game lasts for years (well untill Black OPS in November).

PBancroft

I think a lot of games are designed to be more accessible to the casual gamer nowadays. People who might pick up a game, play for a couple of hours, and then forget about it for weeks if not months. Those sorts of players would be put off by days worth of play time before completion.

It could also be that your son is actually just pretty damn good at the game too.

Online gaming is one way that games have added value and longevity - but then not everyone buys a game for its online capability.

Non-linear games are the real answer - but there haven't been that many good ones in recent years. These really encourage more exploration of the gaming landscape on the part of the player rather than following a prescribed set of actions in a prescribed sequence to complete a level. This again extends the playable life of the game.

rh100

Fallout 3 was good, not quite open ended but you only advanced the game by starting certain missions, so it could go on for a while just exploring the game.

I don't have the xbox live subscription, so when I finished cod mw 2 (?? the latest one anyway) I couldn't be bothered to go through it again on a harder level, seemed a bit pointless to do that.

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
rh100 said:
I don't have the xbox live subscription, so when I finished cod mw 2 (?? the latest one anyway) I couldn't be bothered to go through it again on a harder level, seemed a bit pointless to do that.

I agree, I never repeated the campaigns on any of the COD series, which are inherently online games these days with token campaigns designed purely to provide backdrops to the various online game maps. Although to be fair, MW2 has the 'Special Ops' bit which in itself is pretty difficult and there is plenty of hours of gaming on those mini missions alone.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I got put off online gaming when I first started doing it last year - it seemed to be overrun with abusive kids who'd be screaming obscenities at you over the voice comms if you didn't play up to their standards. Tried it with Wolfenstein, COD:WAW, COD4, Left4Dead & Left4Dead2. It was always such a horrendous, unenjoyable experience that I just stopped trying it.

I now prefer to try games with long gameplay (all of the Half Life 2 games) or daft puzzle-type things like The Adventures of PJ Winterbottom. Still like playing single-player Left4Dead2 though :biggrin:

Debian

I'm really not clear what the OP is ranting about. Yes, I understand what (s)he says but why the rant? Some (a very few) games are good, most are shite. There was a time when a game would take years to develop and release, now there seems to be a new COD, or [insert game name] every few months and it's pretty much obvious that a decent game simply cannot be written and developed in such a short time, it's just a moneymaking exercise.

My son plays a lot of online games but mainly on the PC now. He rarely can be bothered to go into a game shop because he says most games are rubbish now - he downloads and plays games he finds on the net; if he likes it he might pay (translate - we might pay) the £5 - £10 that most of these games cost and he says he has much more fun and variety that way.

I don't much like online gaming for the reasons posted earlier. I'm still hooked on games such as the Myst and Zork series :biggrin:

soulful dog

Veteran
It's maybe worth your son hiring new games instead of buying them? When I first got my Xbox I did this to try a few games out before buying them. I played and completed Prince of Persia and Mirror's Edge in the week I had them so then didn't have to bother buying them.

Plax

Guru
I must be really awful at games. I've not completed any of my PS3 games yet. I go online thinking I'm bound to beat somebody but I'm amazed at how good some of these youngsters are. I need to stay in more, I used to be a crack shot with a sniper rifle on the PC version of Medal of Honour Allied Assault. Now I don't last half a minute before I'm wasted by some 5 year old.

DavieB

MIA
Only games you get a good long life out of these days are rpg type things. 10 hours aint too bad for a new game tbh, but Id imagine an adult playing that would have it done faster than 10 hours. I just completed Transformers war for Cybertron and Im quite happy with the 12 ish hours I got out of it.

Mass Effect (1&2)is a good shooter/rpg with a good 30 hours in it

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Plax said:
I must be really awful at games. I've not completed any of my PS3 games yet. I go online thinking I'm bound to beat somebody but I'm amazed at how good some of these youngsters are. I need to stay in more, I used to be a crack shot with a sniper rifle on the PC version of Medal of Honour Allied Assault. Now I don't last half a minute before I'm wasted by some 5 year old.

These 'kids' play some silly amounts of time on them.

A colleague was dispairing with her 20 year old son - took a year off his degree course (fancied a break) but spent the whole night playing on-line, went to bed as his mum came down to go to work, then got up late afternoon, and resumed on-line...... never saw the light of day. He was in a right state when his mum did some re-decorating and the router had be be disconnected for a few days......

I've tried on-line gaming in the past - one of the star wars games - went into the beginners area and there was some tool waiting (with all Jedi powers) just battering each player that came in...why ? Wii Mario Cart is good though.....just my level.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Wii Mario cart is about my lot as well, we had a CC online meet a few times last year Alecstilleye, Mr Pig and myself but that was about it.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Well racing/driving games seem to take up a fair bit of time. Can't imagine completing the upcoming Test Drive 2 (Hawaii and Ibiza) very quickly.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I now rent the majority of my games from LoveFilm.

Still buy an occasional one that promises to have a longer playing life.... last game I bought was Modern Warfare 2.

Top Bottom