Printer won't print. Is it as obvious as I think ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hard to suggest a fix without knowing more about the printer.

In particular, does it have the print nozzles integrated with the ink cartridge (as per most HP printers) or is the printhead separate from the cartridges (e.g. a Canon) ?

Dave.
Hope this helps.
Model is Canon MG 6450.
It has a bank of 5 'inks' showing as......
M BK Y PGBK C
It appears to me that the light on 'PGBK' is lit up but not the others.
Below is a photograph
20230801_073057.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
My go to fix for most problem is to Google (other search engines are available) "my [specific model] [item] won't/keeps doing [state problem as specifically as possible] then look for the most sensible/likely answer and try that.

Ok - used to fix these for a living - which is why I know there is not much chance

but the manual is here https://www.canon.co.uk/support/con...ixma/mg-series/pixma-mg6450.html?type=manuals

On page 178 are instruction on cleaning the print heads - which might work if they are not too blocked
it does need to use some ink so it will need cartridges that have some in

it also needs you to have the Canon IJ Printer utility on your computer - if you have not got this then it would be a good idea to get it

If that doesn;t work - try the next page stuff on deep cleaning

hope this helps - good luck!

All uphill

Still rolling along
If you haven't used it for a while and you live in a town or city you may find using a publicly available printer would be a cheap and practical solution.

We ditched our last printer four years ago and spend about £5 a year using the library printer. It's a very welcome tiny bike ride to get there.

Alex321

Veteran
Dave.
Hope this helps.
Model is Canon MG 6450.
It has a bank of 5 'inks' showing as......
M BK Y PGBK C
It appears to me that the light on 'PGBK' is lit up but not the others.
Below is a photograph
View attachment 701040

We have a different Canon (MG5350S), but with a similar set of inks.
The PGBK one is the large black - which is used for printing things like text. The small black (BK) is used for adjusting the colour shade. The light being on indicates that cartridge is out of ink (or thinks it is). And these printers generally refuse to print at all if one cartridge is empty, even if that cartridge isn't needed for the pages you are printing.

Using the library etc is less convenient - they are not open 24 hours a day and sometimes "someone" wants it printed NOW

so it needs some forethought

also you need to be aware of what formats and transfer methods the library are happy to accept - they might not be happy just sticking an SD card or flash drive into a library PC due to the risk of viruses and worse!

but still better than needing it NOW and finding the nozzles are blocked and you needs 3 days of help from random cyclists to fix it!!!!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
also you need to be aware of what formats and transfer methods the library are happy to accept - they might not be happy just sticking an SD card or flash drive into a library PC due to the risk of viruses and worse!
...er I think you would just open up your email and print from there having emailed what you want printing to yourself.

BTW I have one of those canon Pixma Mg something printers and new ink and running the head cleaner / deep cleaner maintenance function brought it back to life it had been stood for yonks when I was living elsewhere.

the fat ink with the light on needs replacing

although to be honest it would be quicker just to sketch or write out what you want printed the way tis thread is going..... :okay:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
We have a different Canon (MG5350S), but with a similar set of inks.
The PGBK one is the large black - which is used for printing things like text. The small black (BK) is used for adjusting the colour shade. The light being on indicates that cartridge is out of ink (or thinks it is). And these printers generally refuse to print at all if one cartridge is empty, even if that cartridge isn't needed for the pages you are printing.
My Canon Pixma is happy to print while fibbing to me that my PGBK is empty. The PG indicates pigment ink, by the way, the other black and all the colours being dye inks.

In general, printers don't actually know whether cartridges are empty or not as they have no direct way of measuring the contents. Instead, the printer maintains a count of how many droplets of each colour have been used, and that's used as the basis for the "low" and "empty" warnings. Test pages are a more reliable way of checking ink status.

Top Bottom