Printer won't print. Is it as obvious as I think ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not used the printer for at least 12 months. Tried it t'other day.
It draws the blank paper through, makes the right noises and ejects the "copy" sheet BUT its totally blank.
Had a look at the ink (black plus colours) and tbh they look a bit sad.
So 2 questions.......
1. Is it simply that the ink has dried up?
2. Do I risk it or maybe a new printer (replacement inks are stupid prices).

Gwylan

Veteran
Not used the printer for at least 12 months. Tried it t'other day.
It draws the blank paper through, makes the right noises and ejects the "copy" sheet BUT its totally blank.
Had a look at the ink (black plus colours) and tbh they look a bit sad.
So 2 questions.......
1. Is it simply that the ink has dried up?
2. Do I risk it or maybe a new printer (replacement inks are stupid prices).

Aldi and or Lidl have printers on the horizon.
If it's an inkjet then dried up. Take the ink out
Take the printer head out
Put in a container of warm soapy water and wait. Rinse and repeat.
Dry and reassemble
New cartridges necessity for a check.
Might be cheaper to buy a new printer or email to a chum to print for you
New inkjet with refillable tanks are much better value.

presta

Guru
Might be cheaper to buy a new printer

I thought that the cartidges that come with new printers are only partially filled with just a sample of ink in order to prevent people buying new printers instead of ink.

I use the printer in the library rather than pay for printer ink.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I thought that the cartidges that come with new printers are only partially filled with just a sample of ink in order to prevent people buying new printers instead of ink.

I use the printer in the library rather than pay for printer ink.

You're right the amount of ink in the supplied cartridges is minimal.

I have had the same problem in the past.
I found some videos on YouTube to show how to clean/ unblock the jets on inkjet printers.
I had limited success: I got the black to print eventually, but the colour remained dodgy.
So, I would say: you don't have much to lose by trying to unblock your existing printer, but be prepared to fail and to have to get a new one.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have a tank printer, HP. Ink is less than £50, all colours and print 100's of sheets a month. I have had it a year and not even half way through the ink yet.

classic33

Leg End Member
Soft tissue, soaked in water, and placed against the print head. Continue until the ink runs free. Usually when you get equal amounts of the three colours, and black in the same timespan

Easier do if the cartridges are removable, you can then just leave the tissue in water in a saucer, with the print heads/cartridges sat on the tissue and saucer edge.

Second vote for the method described by @PeteXXX, if you can't remove the print heads.

I used to work in school - as a teacher and IT Technician

Inkjet printer were a right pain
teacher would think they were being efficient and put the printer in a cupboard over the summer
in September it was 50/50 whetehr or not it would work
cheap ones had no chance

Moe expensive ones would have a function that would use a small amount of ink to keep the nozles clean when plugged in but unused for a long period of time
and some had nozzles that could be changed
neither solution was fool-proof but were better than using a cheaper one

but - basically - inkjet printer need to be used frequently otherwise the ink will dry in the nozzle and then it is useless

so - check out the prices - also check the price of printing it at the library or print shop

personally I got a cheap B&W laser printer - which should last forever and didn;t cost much more than a decent inkjet
then we can get anything printed at the library if we really need colour - which hasn;t happened yet!

This thread is timely, as my venerable (2001 vintage) Canon S900 called it quits this afternoon. Tried to print something, and there was a buzzing / grinding noise from inside, and that was as far as it got. Tried the old turning off & back on again, but it's not having it. Either I get the warning light or it just switches itself off. So time for a new one, methinks.

My needs are roughly as follows:

1) printer only, as I have a good dedicated scanner
2) needs to accommodate paper sizes from A4 to A6 and print things like gift cards
3) colour output
4) moderate usage, primarily printing documents, spreadsheets and scans from magazines and newspapers
5) would prefer refillable ink tanks over cartridges.

Re gummed up print heads - soak on folded kitchen paper in a saucer of hot water & washing up liquid.

classic33

Leg End Member
This thread is timely, as my venerable (2001 vintage) Canon S900 called it quits this afternoon. Tried to print something, and there was a buzzing / grinding noise from inside, and that was as far as it got. Tried the old turning off & back on again, but it's not having it. Either I get the warning light or it just switches itself off. So time for a new one, methinks.

My needs are roughly as follows:

1) printer only, as I have a good dedicated scanner
2) needs to accommodate paper sizes from A4 to A6 and print things like gift cards
3) colour output
4) moderate usage, primarily printing documents, spreadsheets and scans from magazines and newspapers
5) would prefer refillable ink tanks over cartridges.

Re gummed up print heads - soak on folded kitchen paper in a saucer of hot water & washing up liquid.
When you turn it on, what light flashes and how many times. Also what is the beep count?

Top Bottom