Air frier jacket potatoes.....I haven't got it right as yet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Pre air frier days I would put cuts in the potato and pierce underneath.
Micro wave 6 minutes.
Oven for 25 minutes.
Perfect.
Always nice, crispy skin and well cooked.
I follow the same principle with the air frier but with iffy results...... never manage to get an all over crispy skin or skin is very patchy.
So........
Does anyone have regular success and if so by what method?

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
We were gifted an air fryer and I'm still not convinced. Must admit, it's only a cheap one and we've only tried chips in it to date, but I can't see many advantages. It takes as long as it did in the oven and doesn't appear to use much less power.

Jameshow

Veteran
Micro wave 6 minutes.
Oven for 25 minutes.
Perfect.
I follow the same principle with the air frier but with iffy results...... never manage to get an all over crispy skin or skin is very patchy.
So........

I think you still need to microwave 6mins and then air fry for 6mins till crispy

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yep....I do microwave them.
TBh I can't imagine 6 mins air frier will get the skins crispy.

We were gifted an air fryer and I'm still not convinced. Must admit, it's only a cheap one and we've only tried chips in it to date, but I can't see many advantages. It takes as long as it did in the oven and doesn't appear to use much less power.

Generally I get excellent results.
Its immediate heat.
Its quicker.
I don't need to heat a whole oven up.
TBH I think jacket spuds are my only problem.

Tenkaykev

Guru

The " Sliced Bread " podcast looked into the subject of Airfryers a while ago. They tested various models to see how well they performed various cooking tasks. They also did power tests to see exactly how efficient they were compared to a conventional oven, and how much it cost to cook a range of items. The Airfryers were invariably less expensive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar.../can-cooking-with-an-air-fryer-save-you-money

Tenkaykev

Guru
We prick ours with a fork and cook them in the microwave as usual. Then I rub them in cooking oil and grind some sea salt over them before sticking them in the airfryer on max temperature. Our Air Fryer has a " hot spot " where the hot air is blown into the machine. I can position the spud near there and turn it after a couple of minutes.

albion

Guru

Yet oven will be hardly hot after 6 minutes of a higher wattage.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We prick ours with a fork and cook them in the microwave as usual. Then I rub them in cooking oil and grind some sea salt over them before sticking them in the airfryer on max temperature. Our Air Fryer has a " hot spot " where the hot air is blown into the machine. I can position the spud near there and turn it after a couple of minutes.

And is the skin crispy all over ?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

Just done pizza and chips.
Throw them in. 12 mins then 2 mins on high. I am enjoying them as I type.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Never used an air fryer but our microwave incorporates a grill and has a jacket potato setting. Put in the potatoes, set the weight, remove perfectly baked potatoes when the bell rings. Simple single process. Panasonic NNCT-555W.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Micro wave 6 minutes.
Oven for 25 minutes.
Perfect.
So........

I do 15 mins in air fryer, they come out ok

Top Bottom