Air frier jacket potatoes.....I haven't got it right as yet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I do 15 mins in air fryer, they come out ok

OK or crispy skins all over ?

Sharky

Guru
We have a combi/microwave. Setting 220 and simmer for 15 mins, turn them over and repeat for another 15 mins. Check and serve.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought this today from a charity shop/store for £15. There wasn't an instruction booklet with it, but there are quite a few online videos telling you how to use it for the best results. I'm experimenting with two already cooked chicken legs and that solitary small potato. I've just had it on at 200 Celsius for 20 minutes. Are these things similar to air fryers? 🤔

M9cetv_0iv2POoIYCQw6Nd7X1s&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=n-7cFu5nQdQAX9KC4bT&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=GjQKABUGSLwAX_v4jKC&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

After 20 minutes at 200C, both chicken legs are very warm, but the potato is more or less raw. I have a 'oven cook preferable' veggie lasagna. I'm going to warm that up in this oven later to see how it fares.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Pre air frier days I would put cuts in the potato and pierce underneath.
Micro wave 6 minutes.
Oven for 25 minutes.
Perfect.
Always nice, crispy skin and well cooked.
I follow the same principle with the air frier but with iffy results...... never manage to get an all over crispy skin or skin is very patchy.
So........
Does anyone have regular success and if so by what method?

I have an air fryer but I've never attempted baked potatoes in it. But using an oven, I'll give them a good roll in salt after washing them. The salt leaches the moisture out of the skin, which helps for the crispy effect. Salt also stops the skin turning to leather in a microwave. If I were to experiment, I'd try giving the potatoes a very light once over with oil and then salt (garlic salt?).

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have an air fryer but I've never attempted baked potatoes in it. But using an oven, I'll give them a good roll in salt after washing them. The salt leaches the moisture out of the skin, which helps for the crispy effect. Salt also stops the skin turning to leather in a microwave. If I were to experiment, I'd try giving the potatoes a very light once over with oil and then salt (garlic salt?).

One of my favourite parts of a baked potato is the skin.......does your method make the skin too salty ??
As I said, I have always oven baked them and always had good results.....never used oil or salt.

Dadam

I bought this today from a charity shop/store for £15. There wasn't an instruction booklet with it, but there are quite a few online videos telling you how to use it for the best results. I'm experimenting with two already cooked chicken legs and that solitary small potato. I've just had it on at 200 Celsius for 20 minutes. Are these things similar to air fryers? 🤔

After 20 minutes at 200C, both chicken legs are very warm, but the potato is more or less raw. I have a 'oven cook preferable' veggie lasagna. I'm going to warm that up in this oven later to see how it fares.

You should have a high grill rack in that. They cook primarily by radiant heat so near the top cooks much faster. We do thick potato wedges in ours, crispy in under 20 mins. They take 40+ in the normal oven.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
One of my favourite parts of a baked potato is the skin.......does your method make the skin too salty ??
As I said, I have always oven baked them and always had good results.....never used oil or salt.
I think it's a question of using just enough salt to help dry the skin so that it crisps. It's getting to baked potato season so I may go and buy a couple of bakers and conduct experiments.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You should have a high grill rack in that. They cook primarily by radiant heat so near the top cooks much faster. We do thick potato wedges in ours, crispy in under 20 mins. They take 40+ in the normal oven.

There is a rack in the box, along with other things, one being a black object which is quite big. I'll post a pic of it later today.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There is a rack in the box, along with other things, one being a black object which is quite big. I'll post a pic of it later today.

There was an instructions book with it after all. It was hidden down the side of the box. That black object is for carrying or moving the Halowave, I've just read. I think i'll try chips later, or a sort of chip I should say. I'll cut a spud into chip shape pieces, then cover them lightly in red palm fruit & rapeseed oil and cook them till soft inside, slightly browned on the outside. Maybe I'll have a chicken breast with them as well and also maybe try some broccoli and cauliflower done in the Halowave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom