Air Fryer ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
What I noticed about the Ninja was the very strong fan. I would assume all the heat rushes out
All ovens are vented, and the Ninja is no exception, having a small vent at the back where some warm air escapes, but I woudn't say all the heat rushes out. Far from it.
thus costing far more to cook.
If i'm cooking a big meal, I'll use the proper even every time.
But something like a Birdseye battered haddock takes 20 mins at 200C in a preheated fan oven, but only 12-15 mins at 180C in a Ninja (with no preheat). That's got be a cost saving.

Tenkaykev

Guru
What I noticed about the Ninja was the very strong fan. I would assume all the heat rushes out thus costing far more to cook.
The fan has to be powerful to remove the heat from the element and circulate it around the chamber containing the food. The air outlets are smaller than the inlets so there's a pressure build up that the fan has to work against.

albion

Guru
The fan has to be powerful to remove the heat from the element and circulate it around the chamber containing the food. The air outlets are smaller than the inlets so there's a pressure build up that the fan has to work against.
I am not aware of any pressure valve, nor any hiss. The strong fan might also increases the importance of using the correct size air fryer for the job.

Dadam

There's no valve, the fan is to circulate the hot air inside the fryer very fast to transfer the heat. That plus a small amount of oil gives a frying effect (roasting, really). Ideally as little air as possible comes in or out, but it's not sealed. If much air came out it would act as a very powerful fan heater.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Air fryers work by utilising high velocity air to improve the heat transfer rate at the surface of the foodstuff by breaking down the boundary air layer around the food (like wind chill in reverse). This in effect helps the food to cook quicker.
We know that cooking times (or cooking temperature) for fan ovens are generally shorter/lower than non-fan ovens. An air fryer takes this one step further by greatly increasing the velocity of the air compared to a fan oven therefore further reducing the cook time (to a point*).
All ovens need some sort of vent simply because as food cooks, water is evaporated and expands with the heat and so needs to go somewhere (otherwise you create a pressure cooker). There are some other hidden benefit of the small design too and that is that the small volume will quite quickly become saturated with water vapour at a high temperature. Humid air heats faster than dry air at the same temperature so also improving the heating effect and helps reduce further moisture loss - it's a win-win! What's more there will be less of a browning effect either which is a benefit that higher temperatures can also be used for faster cooking without uncontrolled burning.
Air fryers are also small volume appliances with a low thermal mass which mean they heat-up quicker AND use less energy to get up to temperature and remain at temperature, so saving a lot of energy.

All in all they're fab!

*Air fryers increase heat transfer to the surface of the food only. Away from the surface, the thermal transmissivity of the food and its thickness determines the overall cooking time. When you apply heat at the surface faster than the food can wick it away you get a burnt outside and a raw inside...see men and BBQs for examples :ohmy:;)

Tenkaykev

Guru
`
Air fryers work by utilising high velocity air to improve the heat transfer rate at the surface of the foodstuff by breaking down the boundary air layer around the food (like wind chill in reverse). This in effect helps the food to cook quicker.
We know that cooking times (or cooking temperature) for fan ovens are generally shorter/lower than non-fan ovens. An air fryer takes this one step further by greatly increasing the velocity of the air compared to a fan oven therefore further reducing the cook time (to a point*).
All ovens need some sort of vent simply because as food cooks, water is evaporated and expands with the heat and so needs to go somewhere (otherwise you create a pressure cooker). There are some other hidden benefit of the small design too and that is that the small volume will quite quickly become saturated with water vapour at a high temperature. Humid air heats faster than dry air at the same temperature so also improving the heating effect and helps reduce further moisture loss - it's a win-win! What's more there will be less of a browning effect either which is a benefit that higher temperatures can also be used for faster cooking without uncontrolled burning.
Air fryers are also small volume appliances with a low thermal mass which mean they heat-up quicker AND use less energy to get up to temperature and remain at temperature, so saving a lot of energy.

All in all they're fab!

*Air fryers increase heat transfer to the surface of the food only. Away from the surface, the thermal transmissivity of the food and its thickness determines the overall cooking time. When you apply heat at the surface faster than the food can wick it away you get a burnt outside and a raw inside...see men and BBQs for examples :ohmy:;)

I had started to draft a reply but then saw that you had written a far more accurate and eloquent one than mine. ( I had mentally started to complicate things by drifting down the rabbit hole of cooking chamber pressure and the Fan Laws 😁 )

albion

Guru
The rabbit hole is the power loss from a high power fan blasting hot air into the environment.
Yes, quicker cooking, but at more cost.

And quite obviously, with no valve, pressure change is minimal,certainly leaving that out of the fairly complex equation.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Very useful. I cook granola in mine, along with things I would traditionally fry, even (with a liner on the bottom, big, deep pancakes.
I don’t have an oven, I have a ninja 🙂

What type of liners do you use?
My daughter DID use silicone liners but reckons they are too much hassle to clean.
If I do eg bacon or sausages I 'make' a foil liner.......food cooks nicely and the fat is contained.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
What type of liners do you use?
My daughter DID use silicone liners but reckons they are too much hassle to clean.
If I do eg bacon or sausages I 'make' a foil liner.......food cooks nicely and the fat is contained.

We have a cheap shop, independent Poundland type place. I get the liners from there. My best description of them are a heavyweight baking parchment. I use them, wipe them then reuse and wipe until they are only fit for the bin.
I put foil at the bottom too. I have a Ninja Foodie 9 in 1 so the air fryer is only one setting for it. The air fryer basket sits in a big bowl/basin thing. I put the foil in the base. It just saves on the washing up.
I put the ‘air fryer liner’ in the air fry basket to stop the pancake mix leaking through all the basket holes. It appears to work well for me.

simongt

Guru
We invested in an air fryer recently and it's very useful.
However, realistically, they're just a compact updated version of the convection ovens I was using in the catering industry over forty years ago. :whistle:

Gwylan

Veteran
It's a pretty good alternative to the oven. Fast, efficient for us as a couple. Saves time and cleaning the oven. Considerably less smell too.

It's progress, there are are those who still cook on an open fire in the back yard. But I feel I've moved on a bit

Sixmile

Veteran
We have a wee cheapy air fryer from Asda, £30 I think. It's on a few times every day like today the kids 2 bake at home bread rolls in the morning for their lunch, then a wee croissant for my morning coffee after i dropped them to school, then lunch was home made burritos and will probably be involved in some stage of tonights tea. Really useful pieces of kit and has vastly reduced our use of our ovens.

Top Bottom