Prison study to investigate link between junk food and violence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Arch said:
I'm sure when Jamie Oliver did the school lunch thing, they found that children were better behaved for having had a decent meal as opposed to takeaway...
That's true. There was an incredible change in the behaviour of one little boy after only a week or two off the junk food. What was absolutely unbelievable was that his parents were so pleased with his progress that they then 'rewarded' him by taking him out for a Big Mac :biggrin:!!!

Dave5N

Über Member
Arch said:
I think we all recognise the difference between state sponsored warfare and the sort of daily shootings,knifings and beatings we seem to hear about all too often....

Yes but the state needs the thugs to do the dirty work for it. And there has always been thugs.

Or do you blame the daily shootings, knifings and beatings in Iraq, the Balkans etc etc on Junk Food?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I can't help thinking taht were drifting from the point here, and it's a point that I believe is quite important to the nation.
We live in a country where food is easily available, however, nutrition is very poor in many areas, with many children, teenagers and adults being overmeight but malnourished. There is much evidence from this and work with children which shows that improving diet improves behaviour, wellbeing, reduces depression and can positively impact upon conditions such as ADHD and improve concentration and learning.
Given that the general rise in disruptive behaviour of certain segments of society might potentially be improved by vitamin, mineral and omega-3 suppliments capsules seems something worth investing in.

Will it stop wars, no, will it stop rape, assault, suicide, vandalism...maybe, not all but may make a reduction if people are generally calmer, less depressed, have stronger immune systems, have properly functioning hormone levels, feel less tired, better able to think etc etc.

IMO it's damn interesting stuff.

Pete

simoncc said:
Most deaths by violence in Europe predated junk food.
Arch said:
Yes Simon, we know that....
On this occasion, Arch, I think you're being a bit unfair on Simoncc - he made a valid point which hadn't been raised before in this thread.

Back to the OT - I'm not convinced of the validity of some of these results. Should the food have been administered in some sort of double blind test - i.e. where the inmate has no knowledge of whether he's eating the 'nutritious' option or the 'junk' option? Having said that, I don't know how it could be achieved without the subject realising. 'Space Shuttle' rations sealed in a plastic sachet, devoid of all taste or texture? That would probably be sufficient to turn me into a mad axe-wielding psychopath...;)

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Pete said:
I'm not convinced of the validity of some of these results. Should the food have been administered in some sort of double blind test - i.e. where the inmate has no knowledge of whether he's eating the 'nutritious' option or the 'junk' option?

Shouldn't be a problem. The subjects are being given the extra "nutrition" as a supplement that may (or may not) be a placebo.
BTW, "Double-Blind" means that neither the subjects nor the researchers know what each subject is receiving. Who received what will only be made apparent once the practical phase of the research has been concluded, and the data has been analysed.

Pete

Landslide said:
BTW, "Double-Blind" means that neither the subjects nor the researchers know what each subject is receiving.
Yes, I knew that. :smile:

Top Bottom