Pro bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
It's interesting to hear from folk who've actually got one, because I'd read that pro bikes, despite the attentions of mechanics, lead pretty tough lives. Which thinking about it does make sense because they'll put in a lot of miles, but also doesn't because why would a pro rider wilfully mistreat their bike?

I'd not fancy one which had been crashed, or hurled at a wall by an angry Wiggins though!

Maybe one day...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's interesting to hear from folk who've actually got one, because I'd read that pro bikes, despite the attentions of mechanics, lead pretty tough lives. Which thinking about it does make sense because they'll put in a lot of miles, but also doesn't because why would a pro rider wilfully mistreat their bike?

I'd not fancy one which had been crashed, or hurled at a wall by an angry Wiggins though!

Maybe one day...

yebbut wiggo did it with style

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhdVr2Cn1OY

johnblack

Über Member

Maybe one day...

Yeah that is always the worry. I got to have a good look around the ones I have, didn't have to commit, but buying blind would be a different matter.

Sallar55

Veteran
The pros may crash,but they descend at a speed we would never achieve ( or dare to do). Says a lot for their faith in a carbon bike , don't think that any of them say I want to go back to a steel bike . Only one place for a ride on a steel bike is the L Eroica in Italy.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Jameshow

Veteran
The pros may crash,but they descend at a speed we would never achieve ( or dare to do). Says a lot for their faith in a carbon bike , don't think that any of them say I want to go back to a steel bike . Only one place for a ride on a steel bike is the L Eroica in Italy.

I still think steel has it's place touring and audax comes to mind....

Sallar55

Veteran
I still think steel has it's place touring and audax comes to mind....
Yes but would be the last choice for many😂. We have toured for 25 years on Aluminium from a company that's got a cracking reputation in the wrong sort of way .🫢 When they start making 29er do it all Gravel/MTB / Touring bikes we will return to Cannondale.
And in an ideal world with Headshok forks.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I have spent this week watching some tours on telly.My question is our bikes last us years,how many times does a pro ride their bikes before they change,and what happens to the discarded bikes,these things cost a fortune.

I bought Bernie Eisel’s 2012 Team Sky frame a few years ago, it’s still hanging on my son’s bedroom wall. It also came with bars, seat stem and original saddle. I’ve now collected everything to build it up to its original TDF spec.

IMG_1255.jpeg

Last edited:

johnblack

Über Member
I had one that was previously ridden by Michael Schär but it was far too big, frame was a 61! then a 56 that was ridden by Rohan Dennis. The decals had been taken off, but because of the frame colour you could just see their names on the top tube, eventually got a one in my size, 58, but the frame is white so you can't see who's it was. I'll try and fish out some photos.

Top Bottom