probable deraileur adjustment ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
Noticed today that there is a distict clicking , when pedalling , when the smaller half of the rear gears are selected. Being a 28.11 compact ulegra set up,and not being paricularly fit yet , I dont tend to get down that end of the range much, but today I started to push it a bit on a few favourable slopes. I sort of expected it on the small chain ring and the small cogs but not that many and not on the big ring.
I imagine that its just the cable stretching a bit since I got the bike, so rather than tinker I thought I would tap the vast well of knowledge on here as what to do.
Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Kajjal

Guru
As you move futher away from the chain being level it does not run or change gear as well. For example large chainring to large cog on rear cassette will show this, also the chain may catch the front mech.

To adjust for cable stretch choose a middle rear gear and spin the crank backwards. Keep slowly moving the cable adjuster until the chain starts to click a little. Now turn the adjuster the opposite direction until the chain starts to click counting the number of turns. Turn the adjuster the opposite direction again but this time half the number of turns you just did. This will put it in about the right position, it may need minor adjustment after this but normally it is about spot on.

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Veteran
Just in case anyone is vaguely interested
it was the front deraileur catching the chain .
adjusted the cable and the noise stopped.

After plenty of ignorance driven faffing.....

Top Bottom